Chapter 22|| My first Quidditch game

It was a Quidditch game week, and it was the last game before the holidays was cancelled because of torrential rain and instead, last month (January), Ravenclaw versus Slytherin played. This time, it was our turn and we had two games back to back because of our cancelled one. It was a lot of effort, but we was going to make it work.

The first game was versus Slytherin, the second was against Ravenclaw only a few weeks later. I was more worried about the Ravenclaw team because this year, the packed a good Keeper and kept on an amazing Seeker.  All of the other teams were quite nerve-wracking too.

"Right team, make sure to eat a good breakfast and then meet me in the changing rooms in about twenty minutes okay?" our Captain, Jacques, asked. It was ironic, however, as he ate no breakfast but gripped his broom tighter and made his way out of the Hall in silence. Myself and James were showered with support from friends and snarky quips from enemies both. 

The other members of the team were getting their fair share too, Rogers and Johnson were conversing in low, nervous whispers, and Fabian and Gideon were both stiff and quiet.

I bit into a piece of toast, and it felt as if it took about an hour to swallow,  and then I suddenly  stood up from the table without saying anything and made my way to the changing rooms. It was normal to be nervous before a game, Johnson told me at practice a week ago, especially your first game, so I wasn't too ashamed about that. 

She also told me that even she still gets antsy before a game and she's played in the team for four years. Her words were always comforting and reassuring, which was exactly what I always needed to hear.

James and I got there early in the changing rooms, Natasha, Fabian and Gideon not being there yet, and probably still eating breakfast. Jacques was already changed into his Quidditch robes, pacing up and down like a lion awaiting it's prey. 

But, he looked nervous and it was worrying, his stony structure finally crumbling down and showing the vulnerability within. Johnson was also in the room, her fingers intertwined and her head hung low, thinking of tactics and more.

James hurried to change into the red robes with our own names in golden letters along the back with the team there too. I ignored the weight suddenly placed on my shoulders and chest, and walked in the side rooms to change hearing a sound a few minutes after I walked in. I turned around and saw Natasha Rogers walking in clumsily, accidentally throwing too much force on the door she opened. She threw me me a smile and laughed nervously, "Great weather isn't it?"

After both us girls had walked out of the smaller rooms and into the place where we would await instructions to walk onto the pitch, I sat down on a wooden bench. "This seat taken?" Gideon asked. I smiled as I remembered the reference to the day back after Christmas and shook my head, this time there was no Sirius to intervene, and that might have been good otherwise I would've had to argue the point.

Jacques stopped pacing once everyone was sat or stood, and said surprisingly steady, "Well team, I would give a speech but I'm worrying about how the new people will perform and well, you're all going to do amazing or I'll hunt you down and curse you." I heard a small laugh from next to my shoulder and another one directly opposite me.

Fabian spoke up first, "Calm down Cap, we aren't a dance group, so you don't have to worry about how we perform." Gideon felt the need to join in his twin brother's banter, "Yeah Cap, and who says we'll be hiding or won't curse you first?" I smiled slightly, grateful for their jokes because if they wasn't smiling I certainly wouldn't be. 

It seemed my feelings were not reciprocated to everyone though, as our Seeker glared at the two red headed boys.

"Just - get out there or that bludger might be out of your hands and straight towards your head," Jacques threatened. James grinned at the Captain and Johnson shook her head in her hands. Rogers looked between everyone and raised an eyebrow, either confused or concerned and leaned backwards in her seat, I'd just realised she'd cut her hair.