Chapter 51|| Break a leg

It was about a week after we came back to Hogwarts - the rest of the Christmas break was fortunately relaxing - and I finally talked held conversations with the two boys again. But what was even better, was that the girls were extremely happy to see me, and Lily said she missed my constant irritating her. 

I was going to make a jibe about James always annoying her too, but she foresaw my move and said, "Don't even think about it Pattinson." She then changed the subject onto exams, and classes, and my Quidditch match in the start of the year.

One thing that was severely different this week was the fact that James Potter was not wearing his glasses. The common answer I told everyone when they asked why was 'because he wanted to look cool'. Even though I tried to persuade the boy that he already looked fine, and to stop trying to be so self conscious, in the end, he used Remus as a guide around the castle and continued to not wear his glasses even though he was visually impaired and couldn't even write.

It was coming up to everyone being back at training for Quidditch and there was a light rain, nothing we hadn't dealt with before. So when Gideon called for everyone to go the pitch to practice, I had to guide James there, despite my constant warning that he wouldn't be able to see the ball. His argument was, "I'll learn to live without my glasses." 

And constantly damage your vision sure, I told him. It was no surprise when he slipped on the grass as he couldn't see the muddy,  rainy parts. As he fell, it was like slow motion, at first, I started to laugh and he was laughing too, a sign of our close friendship. 

Then, when he tried to get up, he cried out in pain. I changed my facial expressions very quickly, rushing over to his side, "Are you okay Jamie?" He stopped wincing just to glare at me, and then continued to groan that his ankle hurt, it was almost worth laughing at again. I said, "I don't know what else to do other than leave you in the rain and mud for a minute."

James shouted, "Why would you do that!" I was walking away towards the pitch where we were supposed to be practicing, as I turned around quickly to shout, "To get help dumb arse!" Then I continued on my journey to the changing rooms, trying to also not fall over on the slippery mud.

It also started to rain quite a lot faster and I tried to hurry up, there was a boy with no vision and a presumably hurt ankle, lying in the mud.

I opened the door to the changing rooms with quite a large bang, as Gideon looked over at me and said, "Calm down, where's James? We've been waiting for you two for a while now." I explained his situation and mumbled under my breath a few choice profanities as I relayed what excuse he would give to Madam Pomfrey other than, 'I didn't want to wear my glasses'. 

He had a good imagination so I didn't worry too much. even if Madam Pomfrey was as sharp as a hawk with these things. 

As myself, Gideon and Fabian got to the site where James was, Gideon had told the rest of the team to go back and either practice on their own or forget about the practice today as there were only three other players left. They all decided to stay out of the rain and go back into the castle, away from falling over themselves. I also wanted to do the same but instead, I accompanied the three boys into the castle where the two twins helped James to get there.

It was a rather large trek to the infirmary, and when we got there, I opened the doors for them, Madam Pomfrey not noticing we were there as she was treating another patient. Fabian and Gideon led James over to a hospital bed where they sat him down, and James manoeuvred himself to sit comfortably. Madam Pomfrey only noticed us when I coughed loudly.

She headed over to us and seeing that James was the one injured, she seemed rather surprised, "You shock me Mr Potter, I could've sworn you were invincible or you would've been in here before now. What with all the irresponsible things you do.. where are your glasses?" Good question, I thought, it also seemed that neither red head had noticed this change. 

It seemed that James interestingly told the truth, and the two twins said that they would get his glasses and pass them on with the Marauders. Madam Pomfrey grumbled, not wanting the group of troublemakers to be in the hospital wing all together, but she allowed it, for the sake of James' ankle. She also said that it wouldn't take much to repair it, just a simple potion, but he would also need to rest it for a few days as it would be quite brittle.

Around ten minutes later, three boys came rushing in the hospital wing and it was a blessing that Pomfrey was in her office. "How did you break your ankle slipping on the grass you idiot?" Sirius asked, laughing. Remus glanced at his black haired friend and raised an eyebrow, "Did you forget he wasn't wearing his glasses and couldn't see? On that note, here you are." 

He gave James' his black rimmed glasses, and as soon as the brown haired boy received them, he put them on.

As he put them on, he sighed in relief, blinking back the familiar sight, "Peter? Has your hair grown? I haven't noticed." Trust James to be making jokes when mere minutes ago he was in pain. We all laughed, and so did the only other patient in the room, a Ravenclaw I only met once in a first year Potions exam and sat on the same table as him, William Hughes. 

Madam Pomfrey came back in a few minutes later as we were all talking about some random gossip that Peter found out in his listening travels. She sighed at us all as she shushed us, "Be quieter you lot. Here Mr Potter, use these for a few days - four at the most - and give them back to me after then. Got it?" she said sternly, passing him a pair of Muggle crutches. 

James grabbed them and immediately tried to walk, stabbing Sirius lightly with them.

Pomfrey rolled her eyes saying, "Potter, they are not a toy." She then shooed us all out of the infirmary, going back to treating Hughes. "Can I have one? We could have a sword fight with them," Sirius said excitedly, as James was about to pass his best friend one, Remus being the voice of reason and immediately dismissing the idea. 

Peter walked along beside them, I noticed he glanced at me a few times, but overall, he was laughing and making fun at James' injury.

We finally got back to the common room where Fabian and Gideon cheered at the brown haired boy, Lily looking over in exasperation. As soon as she saw James, I noticed she frowned slightly, as though wondering how he did it, and worrying for him, but not caring enough to actually ask him. I decided to put her out of her misery and tell her first hand what he did and make fun of him while doing so.

After around half an hour, James stood up, walking over to us both and said, "Hey Lilyflower, have you seen my ankle? It hurts really bad, I might need a hug, it might make it better." I chuckled at the stupid comment and looked at Lily, waiting for her reaction as she stood up saying, "I wouldn't touch you with a twenty feet barge pole, toe - rag." 

James flashed a look of hurt, before covering it up by laughing, "You say that now Lily."

After he walked off, I turned to the girl and said, "You could try and let him down gently you know, I think he genuinely likes you." The red head scoffed, saying, "No he doesn't, he just wants to use me, or thinks it's some kind of game." I decided to disagree but I didn't voice the opinion because I didn't want to tell any of James' secrets, all I knew was that whatever he said was true, he did have a major crush on Lily.

One thing I did say was, "The Marauders aren't all that bad you know." Lily raised her eyebrows and said sarcastically, "Really? Peter and Remus, maybe, but James is horrible and Sirius, well see for yourself." I glanced over and, she was right, he wasn't with the fifth year that he was with at the party, he was with a third year girl, they were chatting and laughing, both rather close to the other. 

Too close for comfort.

It surprised me when I actually felt hurt, and there was a stinging sensation somewhere that felt like I was sure James felt, like I'd broken a leg. But maybe I was just being protective, as a friend, I didn't want rumours to start up, and I didn't want Sirius to get hurt while doing whatever he did best. As Gideon came over to talk to me, I brushed off the feeling, Sirius can do whatever he likes as long as it didn't hurt anyone.