Chapter 69|| A dark start to Sixth year

"Welcome back kids." 

That was the first thing that James said to us when we walked through the barrier to platform nine and three quarters. Sirius and James then started arguing because Sirius was older and all that jazz, but it didn't really include me because I was younger than the both of them. "Have a good year you lot, and make sure you're coming home for Christmas," Euphemia said happily as we got onto the train. 

It felt nice having someone wanting you back.

"Bye mum," James said cheerily, as all three of us waved goodbye and then went to find a compartment. We were going around to find Peter and Remus and tell them the new situation that myself and Sirius are now living with the Potters. It didn't take long to find Peter, as he was ambling through the corridor trying to find any of us, and then not long after, we found Remus talking to Fabian, Leon and Gideon.

"Hey Nea, how have you been?" Gideon asked me, Fabian and Leon whistled, and the four marauders started to intensely whisper. "Fine thanks Gid," I responded, glaring at the four boys before waving and going to find a compartment. I was sure that the twins we had left behind had whispered, "Okay and?" "But she's so my type." 

With that, I wasn't sure if they were talking about me or a different girl, and I was fine with both.

We got a compartment to ourselves, and Remus left for Prefect duties, then, when it came to getting the snacks from the trolley witch, Peter and I both got up to get some, but after getting them, I didn't go back to our compartment, and instead I went to find the girls and change into my Hogwarts robes. Also, considering how loud most of them are, they wouldn't be hard to find.

"Hello my fine females, it is I, Athena, at your service," I announced as I opened the compartment door. They all laughed but my ears burnt, thinking back, that was quite embarrassing and I just imagined, what if the compartment was wrong? "I'm never doing that again," I said and I flopped down next to Mary, handing out my sweets to the girls. 

"Why? It was cute," Marlene teased.

"How has your summers been?" Alice asked, I was grateful that she changed the subject. I sighed, slumping down into my seat, "I'm glad you asked. I've been disowned by my mother, found out that they're probably in their rocky relationship era, my sister was kind of civil, I wanted to go to James' in the storm. Met your brother Maxwell who drove me their, had a little fight with the boys and now I live with the Potters permanently."

Everything was as silent as the grave in our compartment, Marlene was surprised I'd met her brother, but everyone else's face showed either disbelief or sympathy, it wasn't unusual for me, I'd learnt to deal with it. "I met Frank's parents," Alice whispered. The girls were shocked that she would say something after that confession, but all I did was laugh and so they relaxed a bit too.

"How is Maxwell?" Marlene asked. I frowned at her, I didn't know if she meant was he ill or something or if he was a decent person when I met him. So, I ended up with saying, "He was okay." She nodded but never replied, I gathered that she doesn't really talk to her siblings much. "Anyway, I think we should all get changed, Lily's going to be back from Prefect duties any minute and I don't want her to yell at us."

Rightly guessed, as soon as Mary tied her final shoelace, Lily opened the compartment door and sat down with a long sigh, her arms stretching out dramatically. "How was duties?" Mary asked the girl, patting Lily's head comfortingly. Lily sat up straighter, ate one of the chocolate frogs we'd saved for her, and stared out of the window. Mary grinned, "That bad, huh?" Lily nodded and with two words, we understood, "James. Slytherins."

"Was he bullying them or arguing? Or both, they are interchangeable," Aafiya commented. Lily answered, "There was mutual bullying." I got her point, the Slytherins could be arseholes sometimes but also, James could match their energy. They both duelled and fought and swore at each other like there was no tomorrow, no one had as much hate for another human as much as they did.

"I wonder, who you guys will have for Quidditch this year?" Marlene asked, "I know that last year was taken over by one of the guys because James had two months ban for something or another and because of O.W.Ls your team was all over the place. Then, Richard will have had his 7th year at Hogwarts last year so you'll need another Seeker, and this is Natasha's last year. This year will be more organised, right?"

I took in all of that information she had spewed out and had to process it all in my mind before I could answer her question, "It hopefully will. But I don't think I've told you yet, James is Quidditch Captain, and we need a new Chaser and a new Seeker, correct." Lily scoffed incredulously at the fact that James could lead anything but she hadn't seen what I'd seen on the pitch, he wasn't James at all, he was serious and scary.

The train stopped an hour later and the stars were popping out to greet the many students of Hogwarts who once again used the carriages like many before them and watched as the new first years rode across the Lake in a four person boat. The wind was a general accompaniment to the atmosphere and there was a buzz about the air as the many students talked and laughed between themselves.

I rode in a carriage with Fabian, Gideon, Leon and Frank as we all talked about the new Defence teacher and the shoes he has to fulfil, of lasting more than ninety percent of the year. "I hope it's a vampire, for our last year that would be so cool," Leon said happily. Frank rolled his eyes at the boy and took a more logical side, "Yeah, but wouldn't he like, suck your blood and kill you?" Leon fell quiet, but then went on to talk about being the Quidditch commentator one last time.

"You'd better do a funny, and good job Leon, make sure those shoes are nice and big for the next person to live up to, I want to see how well they'll live up to your standards," I told the boy with dreadlocks. Leon grinned and thanked me, Gideon agreeing with me, but then striking up a conversation about how he wants to start up and work in the Ministry in the Sports department.

Getting into the castle and sitting next to Peter, I had to lean over him to hear what James wanted to tell me, James said quite ominously, "My parents had given me this letter, told me not to open it until tonight when I'm not around people, but when do I listen? That's not the point, apparently, they're in a big meeting with some other people, or they're going to one, and Dumbledore will be their along with other people we might know."

Remus leant in to whisper his input, "I've heard them rumours from my mother, apparently it's about starting up an anti killing, anti Death Eater society - but I'd never really heard of them until she mentioned it." Sirius and I shared one look and remained silent, we both could read each other's thoughts, we'd heard about the group from our parents or their friends, and it wasn't good news.

Peter surprisingly knew a little about this group, saying, "I heard from Avery and Malfoy talking that they're on the rise of power and they're 'cleansing' the magical community. I assume that meant Muggleborns and such." James and Remus gasped, obviously never hearing much about this situation, so it was a surprise for the three when Sirius and I did not react. Of course I'd heard of such a society, look at my parents.

Going up to the common room after the feast, Sirius said, "Did you see Dumbledore and some of the teachers at the end, they were all rushing to get out of the doors, I'm sure they're going to that meeting you were on about James, but we can't tell anyone, you can't trust anyone anymore." That was about right, and as I got through the portrait hole and came face to face with Sawyer Vaughn, the dodgy Gryffindor the year below me, the point was reciprocated.

"Goodnight guys," I said as I walked up the girls dormitory stairs. The mood was instantly lightened when I heard James complain, "I'm still jealous how she can do that." I knew he was on about walking up the girls stairs because in my mind, it was still fresh at when he tried to do the same with Sirius but they both ended up falling down.