Chapter 12|| It's a date?

It was nearly the end of our first school year, and I definitely didn't want it to end, I knew I'd have to go back to reality, most likely the demon parents, and away from my friends. I didn't want to go back to my mother buttering me up and trying to get me to follow their regimes. 

I was scared of going anywhere near my sister in case she touched me and infected me with favourite - angel child disease, that was something I indefinitely didn't want. I would especially miss my friends most, and I didn't want to go back to them a full six weeks later. But most of all, I didn't want to do my first exams.

"They aren't really that hard Pattinson," Fabian told me as I found him and his identical twin brother in the Charms corridor whispering mischievous things. He was talking about the first year tests we would have to do, they were both practical and theoretical and that was what unnerved me. Writing was not my strong suit. 

Gideon then added to his brother's statement, "Yeah, wait until fifth year or seventh year, the Head Boy told us they were slowly torturing his brain and he was now suffering with all kinds of stuff, but count yourself lucky." I put my head in my hands, the twins didn't fill me with confidence at all.

I turned to the left, walking down the hallway into the courtyard when one of the twins called after me, "Where are you going?" I turned around quickly to face them and pointed at the staircase to the Potions classrooms where first years would have their exams. The two wished me luck, but I still wasn't exactly very confident.

The Great Hall was only used for examinations in O.W.L year and N.E.W.T year, as they were the most important. Every other one was done in in classrooms. Except Astronomy which was done in the Astronomy Tower (compulsory) and Care of Magical Creatures which is an elective in third year that was done outside.

Today, the first years had two exams, Potions and Herbology. They would each take up two hours each for the theory paper and however long it took for you to demonstrate for the practical side, it could range from two minutes to twenty. There would be time in the middle for lunch and revision which some, everyone knows who, would take to their advantage.

I walked into the Potions classroom seeing all of the cauldrons gone and the tables set up with stools so students could do their test papers with some form of privacy, and we were also all given places to sit and new quills bewitched with anti - cheating spells. I was placed on one end of the table near the door, and at the other end was a black haired, shy Ravenclaw boy whose name I didn't know and had only heard him speak once.

It was two hours later and we were quizzed on safety and basic procedure of potions, different first year potions like a cure for boils and the sleeping draught. I later found out, after Slughorn asked us to give our papers back in alphabetical order, that the boy's name was William Hughes.

When I was standing in lines outside of the Potions classroom as the Potions practical exams was in progress, I was talking to Marlene about William.

Marlene McKinnon was a gossiper, she could get anything out of anyone, and she did everything with a fiery passion, but yet there was still a warm kindness that it was hard to not tell her everything. She told me that he was actually quite popular in his house, and that he talked previously to Alexandra Wang, the girl who saved us when I had hit Mulciber. 

The practical examination was quite easy, you had to remember how to make a cure for a boils potion that all classes learnt in the first term. It was easy if you remembered the Potion, but if you had short term memory loss or liked to have ingredients in front of you, this task was not for you. 

It was like doing the projects and studying with Remus, us being partners, we had to do many potions things together, and he was better writing things, I was better actually doing them. As he walked in after I walked out, I wondered how he was doing.