Chapter 3|| My first day

Waking up in the morning, after being super cosy, and sleeping in an extremely warm and comfortable bed was very difficult. I would have slept in the whole morning or stretching to a day, and missed the first day had it not been for Aafiya, who wakes up early every morning to pray, as well as wakes us all up. 

She was the best for time keeping and sticking to her schedule, as I later reflected, as she was always reminding us to do something, and it was only the first few hours of the year but she was already acting like our mother.

I walked into the common room, ready and waiting for the boys who were supposed to come down and meet me, when James and Sirius ran down the stairs two at a time, both chasing a small kitten who was seemingly very frightened. I was really worried. For the cat, not the boys. "Boys, are you coming to breakfast or what? Stop being idiots and hurry up," I chastised. 

Remus came walking down the stairs too, chatting with Peter calmly, just as James grumbled, "Sorry mother." I grabbed him gently by the ear and Sirius by the wrist, dragging the two boys to the Great Hall, Remus and Peter following us, amused. "Are you always like this?" Sirius complained, struggling to keep up.

As soon as we were all sat down in the Great Hall for breakfast, the two boys who were annoying me already, apologised hurriedly, already stuffing toast in their mouths. The two boys who were innocent bystanders grinned, eating their breakfast too. Remus chose an assortment of spreads on his toasts, like jam and chocolate spread, whilst Peter stuck to buttered croissants.

I'd just made some cereal, and was eating it slowly, when hundreds of owls came flying down to meet their owners, and I recognised one as my owl. The boys also each got one, all except Sirius, who wasn't looking too surprised or upset. 

I opened my letter to read:

Dear Athena, 

I have been informed by some other correspondents of mine that you have been placed in Gryffindor. I hope this was some silly mistake, and as a gift of forgiveness, I have enclosed a silver bracelet. I hope you will come to your senses soon and stay loyal to the things we have been telling you. In addition, by the same person, I have been told that Sirius Black is in Gryffindor too, let him be the only person you fraternise with as he is acceptable.

Sincerely,

You mother.

I looked in the envelope to see the silver bracelet that my mother had bought my sister, which was now for me, and I 'wondered' why. And I also decided to keep it there in the envelope, as, I knew what they were doing, trying to lure me to not give up on them and their dark twisted beliefs because I was sorted into this house like it was a 'fluke'.

Then, I wondered, who was this correspondent she spoke about, who was telling her of what or who was doing anything? Breaking my chain of thought was a large black owl bringing down a letter that was dark red and already looking menacing. I instantly knew what it was. A Howler.

It landed in front of Sirius Black and he swallowed, by now, the whole school was eating their breakfast save for a few stragglers who like their morning sleep and Aafiya who I expected was getting ready or something. The howler landed right in the middle of James, Sirius, myself, and Marlene McKinnon, who was sitting next to me. The howler looked at Black menacingly and said:

"SIRIUS ORION BLACK THE 3RD, HOW ABSOLUTELY DARE YOU BE IN GRYFFINDOR. I DON'T CARE IF THE HAT DECIDED YOUR DESTINY OR YOU CHOSE TO BE, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS. YOUR WONDERFUL COUSIN BELLATRIX HAS TOLD ME ABOUT EVERYTHING GOING ON BECAUSE YOU WERE OBVIOUSLY TOO ASHAMED TO TELL ME; YOU SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. THIS IS TERRIBLE FOR YOURSELF AND OUR REPUTATION. YOU SHOULD BE DISAPPOINTED IN YOURSELF, HOW ARE YOU MY CHILD? FINALLY, MAKE SURE THAT YOU TALK TO THE ONLY OTHER DISGRACE, YET STILL A SACRED PART OF THE FAMILIES, WHICH ARE UNFORTUNATELY NOT RELATED AS THEY HAVE A WONDERFUL YOUNGER DAUGHTER, MRS PATTINSON'S CHILD ATH-"