Chapter 34|| The Mirror

It was lunch the next day and I was sat next to Alice who was laughing as she made a smiley face out of her food, like a child. I smiled every time she narrated the voices of the characters she was making and raised my eyebrows in concern every time she stabbed a piece of food onto her fork and ate it, as that specific carrot was an eyeball previously it was traumatising to watch. 

She then told me how she was waiting for somebody, and I told her I was doing the same.

"Who are you going to meet? I'll tell you and you have to promise to tell me too, swear on Merlin that you will because mine is embarrassing," she rambled. I nodded and promised her, greatly interested in this mysterious person she was going to hang out with. 

Then, she whispered so quietly I could barely hear her, "Frank asked me if I could tutor him in Transfiguration last week, but I recently found out from Marlene that he just wanted an excuse to hang out with me. Not that I can complain or anything, but enough about me, what about you?"

I smirked at her small confession, happy that Alice had found someone who reciprocated her interest, and then I told her in reply, "Isn't that cute? Alright, calm down, anyway, Sirius, shut it, Sirius said he had something to show me but, he also said it's not just me it's all of the boys. I bet it's either a prank, something against school rules, or a loophole in the law." 

Alice laughed at me, telling me I thought too low of him, but after thinking of a 'small' prank they did on a Slytherin seventh years a few days ago, there was not much else that I could assume.

It was a funny story really, there was a small group of seventh year Slytherins hanging around the third floor corridor, talking about finding a secret room nobody should know about, only heard in rumours. Then, the four Marauders decided to do something simple at first, charming their laces to tie together, but then Peter muttered the wrong spell and they ended up with their mouths closed shut and it took Madam Pomfrey twenty minutes to undo the curse.

"Hey, do you know what they want to show you? Wait, scrap that question, a Hufflepuff is looking at you and she looks a little bit suspicious to me, imagine eating chocolate cereal and marmalade on toast together, well not together but for breakfast. I mean, who knows? They're a Hufflepuff, not to offend them of course," Alice whittled on for some time.

I felt bad not listening to her but it was really useless information, and a Hufflepuff being hungry was not important. I could care more that she was looking at me, but I knew that when I was in a room filled with hundreds of people, I look around and observe what everyone else is doing to. So, all in all, I couldn't really blame her.

Anyway, I took a bite of some bread and watched the Hufflepuff table absentmindedly, just to subdue Alice, my brain thinking and my eyes daydreaming. I felt a sudden tap on my shoulder and I looked to see the owner of the hand, it was James grinning down at me with Sirius by his side. 

Remus and Peter were stood by the Great Hall doorway waiting for us all to go elsewhere and for Sirius to show us what he had. I looked at Alice, not wanting her to feel lonely, but she nudged me to go with them and I saw why. Frank was walking towards us and he was holding a stack of Transfiguration books.

The grey eyed boy dragged us all up to the Gryffindor common room, and then to his dorm as he pulled out his trunk. Remus sighed exasperatedly, "Sirius, if you wanted to show me your trunk you could've shown me this morning." Sirius glared at him and opened his leather trunk with a snap, taking out his socks, which Peter made to say a snarky comment but Sirius shushed him.

He then unfolded the socks and pulled out a small mirror. 

"Sirius mate, if you wanted to show us our own faces or how beautiful you are, I'm not sure that's going to work, it'll take a miracle to-" James started. I hit him on the shoulder and waited for the black haired boy to explain, there must be a perfectly good reason as to why he wanted to show us an ordinary mirror. Sirius then glanced around at us all to see if we were watching, and hit the middle of the mirror so it smashed into two different pieces. 

The other four of us gasped and I made to see if his hand was alright. Sirius said, "I'm fine Thea, but, this is not just any mirror, it's an enchanted one, my uncle Alphard charmed it so it could show us each other, now I've smashed it into two pieces, I'll have one side and you can share around the other. For emergencies like being in separate detentions." 

He held it out to James as an example and as he grabbed it Sirius said, "James." The mirror piece and the boy's reflection fluctuated for a minute and then bizarrely, Sirius' face popped up into the mirror and smiled. James whirled around to see if he was behind him but no, Sirius was still across the room where he was sat next to his trunk.

My jaw dropped but James laughed gleefully, "This will be great for seeing each other in our most desperate detentions! Thank you Sirius Orion Black the third." Remus glanced at the boy who gave him the mirror and blinked multiple times words not leaving his lips. Peter squeaked in surprise when he grabbed the mirror, said the other person's name and then laughed. 

"Now that is wizardry," I whispered. I looked once more into the mirror but it just showed my face again, Sirius must have not wanted to see my face. Rude.

As everyone left the dorm room to do their own thing, and get on with their day, Sirius said, "Thea." I stopped in my tracks and turned to face him from the doorway, smiling at him. He stood up and said, "I wondered if you was alright? You seemed a little dazed at lunch and you seemed out of it this morning too." 

If there was many things I new Sirius Black could be, one of them was not worrying about other people so, if anything, I felt honoured. I nodded my head at his question as an answer but he still raised an eyebrow. "I'm fine, I was tired and daydreaming and anyway, since when did Sirius Black get so caring?" I asked. 

He smiled nonchalantly and shrugged, "I'm not that caring, I just wondered, I couldn't have one of my best friends worried or upset about something, and if someone had hurt you, it would be a benefit for me. I could prank someone's ass." 

I rolled my eyes, of course it was a plot for personal gain, but I still couldn't help but thank him, he was a nice person under many layers.

I gave him a hug as he made to leave and as he tried to shove me off, I nearly fell but I stepped away first and hit him on the head with a Transfiguration book, before throwing it at him and running out of the room. I ran past three of the four Marauders and a Prefect who told me to stop running down the stairs. "Excuse me, you'll probably hurt someone running recklessly like that." I ignored the prefect. 

I could hear Sirius chasing me but I suddenly stopped in the middle of the common room and held out my wand, facing me. He pulled out his as well, and whispered, "To think I'd just gave out my secret mirror to you." 

I frowned sarcastically at him, if there was one thing that Sirius and I did well, it was getting on each other's nerves. "That's too sad isn't it, maybe if you didn't push me first, I wouldn't have hit you with a book. Transfiguration is really hard you know." He rubbed his arm where the book had hit muttering something that sounded like 'don't I know it'.  

I made to say something else, in which I had a really good comeback, but our Head Boy stumbled into the common room and glared between the two of us, grumbling. I walked over to Sirius quickly, called for a truce and we both escaped the clutches of detention, as the boy was telling us off for making too much noise and disturbing the peace. 

I think we were lucky to get away without house points being taken. We made our way up to the nearest empty corridor, just to be safe, and I spotted Flitwick walking around the corner with a stack of papers in his hand. I told the black haired boy to go his own way and maybe meet with the Marauders while I wanted to talk to Flitwick about our recent homework. I knew he'd marked it, he just hasn't told us what we scored yet.

"Professor, can you by any chance reveal my homework marks yet or is it strictly classified information?" I asked him. He laughed and told me I'd only lost three marks on the longer explanation question at the end, which, of course I could live with. I heard footsteps and saw Lily hurrying around the corner and telling me, "Sirius told me you was here. James said he hadn't seen you two in a while and if I could find you I'd win two galleons." 

I shrugged, wondering why James wanted to find me so desperately and knew it was probably just an excuse to talk to Lily, so, I continued to walk with the red head who was now grinning happily, "He owes me, thank you Athena."