Chapter 58|| Silence

It was late September, the day that the boys had finally, collectively decided to be silent for the month. This would mean that, technically, we would be silent from the 26th of September to the 26th of October. This therefore would give us all the chance to finally let loose and be extremely loud for Halloween. 

We had given ourselves time to speak from the first day, talking to all of our teachers and such, so that nobody found it strange how we had suddenly come back to the new school year suspiciously silent. And we had made up an excuse and told our professors of the 'silent protest' we were completing.

Remus would be our spokesperson, which the teachers viewed as obvious, there was one reason that the teachers understood the reason we did this, us four were stupid, and Remus was the smart one, normally, so that meant he didn't want to follow that idea. 

Little did they know, we all had a Mandrake Leaf sitting on our tongues or on the roof of our mouths. Remus had also done a small sticking charm so that they wouldn't come off when we were eating.

The first day of silence was a nightmare to get used to, I was normally interjecting in every conversation but even the girls knew of our 'silent protest', not even Lily knew the real reason, even though she new about Remus's furry little secret. One day I badly wanted to hex Mulciber but I hadn't learnt non verbal spells yet, so I contended with tripping him up under James' invisibility cloak, and it was quite funny watching him fall and then act confused.

"Good morning class, as taking the boys example, I have decided to let us practice non verbal charms for this week, and for however long they are silent," Professor Flitwick told our class. The spells were fairly easy, practicing banishing charms, the opposite to summoning charms. It was also very useful magic to practice non verbally, if you ever wanted to element of surprise or the act of secrecy that is.

"That was a great lesson don't you think," Remus said as we walked out of the classroom. I looked over to him and noticed he was keeping his head forward, it was slightly irritating as he was obviously enjoying the silence, and I could only imagine how quiet it was in their dorms when nobody was allowed to speak. 

As if to fuel the irritation of being silent, Remus also gave no inclination to look backwards to see if we were agreeing at all with him, it was almost like he was teasing us.

The next few days were a nightmare, McGonagall was always making small jokes like, "Any complaints?" when we were talking about homework, or something that she knew the boys would normally complain about. It also seemed that the word had gone around to more teachers as Sprout walked into our class and said, "How are you doing boys?" she then proceeded to give us a particularly loud job with a small, sharp plant.

Needless to say, any task the teachers gave us needed communication or spells, which we had to learn non verbally. However, none of the teachers knew the actual reason why we were going to be silent for the next month, and I doubted they ever would. 

Aside from the constant frustration of not wanting to move or accidentally swallow the small leaf, there was always a thrill that I got from doing things that nobody else was really doing, of course, I knew it was slightly illegal, but it was invigorating, especially when I was doing it for Remus. 

We did go into the grounds for our break one day, and when we were all sat under the tree in complete silence, I heard a noise coming from my left. I turned my head and saw Lucius Malfoy, the blonde haired Slytherin in the year above us, and two accomplices, Evan Rosier and Anthem Zabini. 

All three of them were positively horrible, Malfoy and Zabini being in the year above, and Rosier in our year. I had already had way too many run ins with Rosier to cope with in a lifetime so I didn't want to see him anytime soon.