Chapter 70|| A.. small disagreement

"Have you seen Sirius lately?" I asked Peter as we both sat in the common room, since I had dropped Divination, I now had a spare period to revise for my other subjects, and it seemed that Peter had done the same. In fact, I was sure that neither Sirius nor James did Divination either anymore as we all unanimously agreed that it was a waste of time as a subject, and Madame Zeroni didn't help either.

Peter looked up from his Transfiguration notes and glanced over to where I now saw Sirius practically eating off a seventh year girls face in front of the fire. Not that there was a fire, it was ten in the morning and it was fairly humid still for September. "I'm sorry I asked," I muttered in disgust, Peter laughing at my comment but also cringing slightly, I was sure that he was a more reserved guy.

Something had snapped in me that day, and I wasn't sure what, but I had been ignoring Sirius for five days now, my record, and on the sixth day, when I saw him with a bottle of Firewhiskey in his hand, seven pm on a Sunday, with another new girl, the third this week, first of all talking innocently about Quidditch but then starting to snog in front of everyone. I was done, I had had enough and as I closed my book with a snap, Lily jumped in surprise.

"What's wrong with you?" Lily asked as I stood up, cracking my knuckles. There only needed to be one glance as Lily understood why I was annoyed, I'm not sure why it affected me so much but it did, and there was nothing I could do about it. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do," Lily sighed, but then, I saw Sirius down the rest of the burning bottle, leave the seventh year and make a move on a fifth year.

I stormed over to the boy and stood next to the fifth year protectively, the poor brunette was just trying to study with her friends for her O.W.Ls. "Leave her alone Sirius, you're drunk, go to bed," I said expressionlessly, the fifth year quietly thanked me and left to her dorm with her friends. The black haired boy looked exasperated and then he complained, "You've just lost me my next date Thea. By the way, who are you channelling tonight? Evans?"

I stood my ground, his attempt at calling me Evans was indirectly calling me uptight and rule abiding, it was a weak insult. I turned to walk away but Sirius grabbed my wrist and asked, "Hey Thea, is Mary still single?" I spun on my heels, facing the boy, I knew for certain that Mary was definitely not interested in him, "Yes, but not for you, and I'm not having you shag one of my best friends and then dump her, who are you anymore?"

Black scoffed and muttered something under his breath, I wasn't bothered by this, I'd been to Slytherin parties after all. Then, he voiced something much louder and much more angrily, "I'm not sure who you are anymore Athena Pattinson. You haven't spoke to me in a week, you're avoiding me, and spoiling my fun. I've only been talking to other girls, are you jealous? Because I know you have other male friends, and I don't act like you do."

I froze, was I being irrational? Was I just jealous? But I didn't walk away from the suddenly growing argument, even though the whole common room was silent and watching, the boys, the girls, every one else. 

"No Black, I am not jealous, I am annoyed. I want one of my best friends back, the one I knew before the Firewhiskey and the sudden interest in Quidditch, and definitely all the girls. Have friends that are girls, I don't care. But I do care that you get with them dump them in the same day."

Sirius didn't speak, his eyes were wide and he mouth was open, I could hear murmurs from the people in the room now and so, I went to walk away, as I should have done in the first place. But as I walked away, I heard, "You're wrong about the girls Thea." But I didn't look back, and I definitely didn't make the effort to turn and talk to him again. I knew that someone would talk to me about it soon so I didn't wait to go to my dormitory.

Sure enough, after around ten minutes, I heard the door open but I didn't turn around from my spot, facing the wall. Marlene's voice whispered, "Holy shit is she crying for the first time?" I laughed weakly, saying, "No I'm not, sorry to disappoint." I heard a collective sigh of relief, and that confirmed to me that all of the girls were here to talk to me about our small fight.

The next day, it was Monday, and it was normally a bad day because it was the start of the week and I had classes after a weekend of being free. However, today was a lot worse. This being for the sole reason that there were rumours and whispers everywhere I walked about myself and Sirius and the argument we had. It didn't surprise me that Hogwarts students just couldn't keep out of other people's business.

The most ridiculous I'd heard was the we were dating and he was constantly cheating on me, but I knew about it and I just couldn't take it anymore. That was just from Dorcas Meadows. And she wasn't even in the common room last night. I assume that she'd heard the rumour from Marlene's stories of last night because she also couldn't keep the gossip in. I was grateful to her that she didn't tell anyone anything from the conversation I had with the girls after that.

Sitting first thing in Transfiguration, I was sitting next to Evelyn, but it was pretty awkward because neither of us spoke to each other for a full minutes but then proceeded to have something to say to each other at the same time. Evelyn went first, "Is it true? Did you fight Sirius Black?" I laughed, when people said fight, I envisioned myself swinging fists at the boy and then wrestling him to the ground or something.

"We did argue but there was no violence involved," I answered her. The red head sat in amusement and then looked back diagonally so that she saw the most talked about boy of today. "Thought so, his skin looks too good to be beat up. But, if you wanted to hurt him, you could do it well, I remember you kicking this boy who stole your ice cream when we were children, he had a bruise and everything."

It was weird, talking to Evelyn like we were best friends again, reminiscing on our childhood, it was a chaotic one at that, I went to her house every week, but she couldn't go next door to mine, it was obvious why, I thought she was just a Muggle, and my mother is .. my mother. "McGonagall's writing down the homework for us," the girl pulled me out of my thoughts. I sighed sadly, my shoulders dropping, homework already.

I walked to the next class (Charms) with Alice, passing Fabian and Gideon who yelled, "Don't fight me!" as I rolled my eyes at them. Alice seemed to be pretty quiet when we were going to Charms and as we sat next to each other at the back of the room,  I to this chance to ask her what was worrying her. "Are you and Sirius going to be mad at each other for much longer?" 

I frowned at the girl and wondered why her mood had to do with our disagreements, Alice saw my expression and said, "I hate it when two of my friends are mad at each other. It happened with Marlene and Lily, they were arguing about Snape or something, but of course Lily didn't talk to the boy all of this summer, but anyway, it was really awkward and I hated it, I don't want it to be like that with you guys."

Alice was always a very kind soul, she cared about everyone's problems and listened when no one else would, but she was also a worrier. She could overthink about the most random situations for hours on end and then fret about things that would never happen, the most recent being Remus dying but none of us showed up the funeral, which of course would never happen.

"Alice," I said, "don't worry, I can tolerate being in the same room as him, even casual talk, I'm just not going to be extremely close best friends with him just yet." The short haired brunette seemed to understand how I felt about talking to the boy and she focused her attention instead on telling me all about Frank and his mother - who seemed to be a very cold person - even as Flitwick was chastising the class yet again for unnecessary chatter.