Chapter 42|| The Evan's House

For me, the house that Lily lived in was the nicest and most homely house that I'd ever been in. Her parents were exactly the same - they were both Muggles who worked in some Muggle job I'd never quite learnt the name of - but they were both outstandingly nice people with a caring attitude. 

Her parents were called Gregory and Carol, and they were most definitely some of the nicest parents I'd ever met - the Potter's were starting to have competition - they also knew that I was a witch, so they told me how many Muggle things worked, and they were very inquisitive about my life, but not intruding.

The only down side in the Evan house was Petunia Evans. Petunia was also a Muggle, but she was not very hospitable, and she was snide and spiteful, always making comments about people who could do magic. She portrayed them and thought about them as if they were some kind of freak, a sort of person you could show off like an animal. 

I tended to avoid her or I definitely would have done some definite breaking of the statue of secrecy.

Lily invited me to do many things while I was at hers for the summer. Since her family lived in Cokeworth, there wasn't much interesting to do (and it was definitely as gloomy as London) but the Evans did find a very fun mini golfing place, something the family loved to teach me. 

There was also some nice places and cottages to walk around in the neighbouring villages, so I spent some time with Lily looking at the local scenery, and inspecting all that Muggle England had to offer. Some time in the third week, they took me to the beach, and considering I had never been there before, it was a rather interesting experience.

Lily showed me all of the places to go, all of the things to do at a beach, and I might have also accidentally pushed Petunia in the sea at one point. The one thing that I knew I was going to tell Sirius about was that they to places in something called a car, which was a fascinating Muggle invention to transport people places, and it wasn't as fast as most of our methods, but it was safe.

The more I stayed in the other side of England, the more I noticed that Muggles had plenty of ingenious invention. My favourite had to be a blender, where you can put most things in there and it will just.. blend. It was very efficient and rather exciting to watch, although the noise was unbearably loud.

When it was about a week into the summer holidays the day was August 1st, it was officially Marlene's birthday. Lily and I had been getting ready all morning, or more like I was changing and Lily complaining, as she reminded my multiple times she was only going for Marlene and that she still thinks James is an 'arrogant toe- rag™'. 

Her mother even walked into the room once and told Lily to be a little bit quieter as she had woken up her sister.

Going down the stairs two hours later at 10 am, Lily and I walked into the kitchen to sit at the small breakfast island. Carol Evans placed a plate of toast and a glass of apple juice in front each of us on the polished surface, and then she turned to give her husband his newspaper. 

She was a persistent woman, and very helpful in the house, which was always amazing when I needed to do homework, even when she wouldn't understand. Carol was the type of person to search every book and ask everybody in the town, just so she could give you the answer you were looking for.

Gregory Evans opened up his newspaper with a flourish and then asked, "What time are you girls going to this boys house?" Gregory Evans was also a kind hearted man that gave about a look of grumpiness. He would be offended if you ever said that to him, however. Lily told him that we should set off quite soon, as it would take at least an hour to get there.

"Going somewhere?" Petunia Evans walked into the room, a denim jacket on her shoulder and her hair in a ponytail. She had her eyebrow raised and her face held a smug smirk, like she had something planned. Lily smiled and told her sister all about it, I had noticed that it was quite sad how Lily still believed her sister cared, how she still saw some good in Petunia despite her behaviour.