Chapter 57|| Prefect

It seemed that Remus had been keeping a secret from us all summer, and he had finally told us about it on the train to our fifth year at Hogwarts. "I didn't want you guys to make it a big deal but, I've been made a Prefect, my badge came with the Hogwarts letter." My jaw dropped, it was slightly obvious who the girl would be for Prefect, but I wasn't expecting any of us to get it really, as there was so much you could get away with, being friends with a Prefect.

Sirius slumped in his seat, "That makes what I'm about to tell you sound really irrelevant. Myself and James have gathered four Mandrake Leaves, a Death's Head Hawk Moth, a crystal phial, a silver teaspoon of dew and the information of the next electrical storm throughout last year and the summer." 

The compartment fell into silence, myself, Peter, and Remus all turning slowly towards the boy in shock.

Suddenly, the compartment door slid open and Lily walked in, "Hey Athena, Remus, we have to be in the Head Boy and Girl's carriage for information and then we have to patrol the corridors." Remus stood up slowly, his eyes not leaving Sirius' face, his expression comical, walking out of the compartment slowly and silently. 

Lily hesitated in leaving, asking the strangely silent compartment, "Bad timing?" But as soon as James had said, "Oi Evans," she left in rather a hurry.

Two hours later, the sky was getting darker, and Remus had finally come back from his new Prefect duties. The first thing he did was throw himself on the seat next to Peter, sighing, "You should see who's Slytherin's Prefect, it's Mulciber and Jemima Farley." My eyes widened and I gasped, they would let Mulciber become a Prefect? After so many had told the teachers about cases of bullying and hexing?

People could argue that Remus was also a bad idea for a Prefect because he was a Marauder, but firstly, he was a lot calmer, a lot smarter, and a lot more sensible than the other three boys, and he had never openly cursed anyone nor bullied anyone. The worst things he had done was a group effort, and he was only the one planning it, mainly not executing the plan. 

Mulciber however, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't just execute the plan but the people involved.

"That prat is a Prefect? What is the world getting to nowadays? It's all been a bit twisted recently," James commented. The conversation switched however, when Peter said, "About that animagus plan, when are we doing the mandrake leaf bit? Because, I'm sure that you have to do that first." 

That was a really good question, it was important to know when four of Gryffindor's most talkative students were going to be silent for a month. However, we never got an answer, and the most that Sirius said was, "Soon, Pete, soon." 

The train was nearing Hogwarts, as the stars came out, and the lamps were turned on inside the carriage, that meant that we all decided to change into our Hogwarts robes. I decided to change in the bathrooms, letting the boys change in the compartment, and as I walked out, I shut the door and closed the shutter behind me.

A short while later, I knocked first to see if they were ready and changed, and when Peter opened the door and lifted the blind, I smiled at them and stepped in. My eye was caught on Remus' shoes, they looked rather big, almost too big. Maybe that was what made him look taller. And they were also black, with laces that were double knotted. 

"Where did you get the shoes that you have on?" I asked him. Remus smiled at me almost as if he had been waiting for someone to ask that question, and then glanced down at his shoes, "They're a Muggle brand, called Doc Martens. I could get you some for your Christmas if you like." 

The train suddenly stopped and pulled up at the station, almost throwing everyone around in the process, and that was when the red headed girl popped her head around the door and said, "Remus, we have to guide the younger students onto the boats or the carriages." Remus stood up, his shoulders dropping, and he saluted us as he walked out with Lily.