Chapter 50|| The Festive Season

It was that time of the year to leave for Christmas, thankfully.

We had been training vigorously in Quidditch for the match in January, against the Slytherins. Gideon had been a great Captain and would continue to be one up until the last day of this year, he was helpful, encouraging and very enthusiastic. The team was also improving every day, getting better with every practice, scoring and saving more between us, aim getting more accurate and time getting faster.

There was one thing that I also knew, James' parents had invited myself and Sirius for Christmas again. They had also invited Remus and Peter, but they were going home to their own families. James' parents had also said something about Lily, but James had been too scared to ask Lily if she wanted to spend a day or two for Christmas or New Years at his house. It was quite cute how he liked Lily, and would settle for nothing less, but she only found it annoying.

Getting off the train, and walking with Sirius and James (after saying goodbye to the others) towards Euphemia and Fleamont Potter, was always one of the best feelings. They were always so homely, and treated us like we were their own children, I was even sure that Euphemia once called me her daughter last summer and had to correct herself. 

We apparated to the Potter manor and it was as welcoming as ever, it was also decorated inside and out for the festive season.

*

I woke up on the Christmas morning rather early, not nearly as early enough though apparently, as Sirius and James, who were already awake, were creeping rather loudly down the stairs. I got out of my bed and pulled on a jumper, opening the door and walking down the carpeted staircase myself, and into the kitchen where the two boys were. It was already assumed that they were making a mess, and rightly so there was a small clatter from their direction.

Walking in, I took in James trying to find something from the cupboards and Sirius pouring himself a drink of what I hoped was water. James had noticed me first and asked out of the blue, "Thea, answer me honestly, do you think I look better with or without glasses?" 

I shrugged, not really caring as Sirius complained that he'd already given his opinion so why wasn't that good enough. I said, "I agree with Sirius, you look fine either way, but will you not be practically blind without glasses?"

James grabbed something from one of the cabinets and placed it on the worktop, "Technicalities, if it makes me look better, it may be worth it." I glared at him and then saw a hand grab his packet of bacon, and a woman said in a stern tone, "Promise me you will not allow yourself to go blind on purpose for the sake of looking cool. And what did I tell you about eating breakfast on Christmas morning? You have extra portions for lunch anyway."

Euphemia then put the bacon rashers back where they came from, and then dragged her son out of the kitchen and into the living room. "Stay," she told him. Then Sirius and I came out following her like a few ducklings, and we both sat next to James in front of the tree. 

I heard a loud bang only a few minutes after, and the four of us watched in anticipation as out popped a head from the stair rail as Fleamont Potter said, "I'm okay. I just dropped the book to make our signature pudding."

Euphemia sighed and went to help her husband with something, moments later reappearing and then disappearing again into the kitchen. "Can we open our presents?" James asked loudly, obviously hoping for his mum to have heard him. There came a, "Shut it James," from in the kitchen. 

Then, suddenly, there was a rebellious, "Go on son," from Fleamont. James grinned happily and grabbed his present that was nearest to him.

After we opened our own presents, some things from the others or each other, we shared our thoughts on each of them. One that stood out to me was from my parents, an emerald bracelet which, of course, I didn't actually wear. However, it looked expensive, and it was typical of my parents, trying to win back my loyalty by buying me things.