The Gauntlet (Chapter 59)

*Y/N*

"Ok, y/n. You're going to go through what I'm calling the gauntlet. First up is Yelena. You two will head into the updated customized mini training room. From the outside you can set the room to mimic different terrain and conditions, add obstacles, nanotech bots to fight against, and other variables that might come up on a mission. For your first round of the gauntlet the room will simply be set to mimic the last mission you went on."

"Oh so the room is going to transform into a creepy padded white room where I got shot?"

Tony's new training room was an amazing upgrade to the tower. It allowed everyone to train to settings that pushed them and tested their specific skill sets and abilities. It has been fun to play around in and test out random settings. The first time you went in the room, Tony put the settings to the highest difficulty which resulted in the nanotech bots to transform into a 50,000 pound semi truck and drop down onto you without warning. Let's just say Tony got an earful from two overprotective redheads after that.

"Exactly. But do your best to not bleed out all over my new training room. Blood is not easy to get out."

With a roll of your eyes you walk over to Yelena who is sitting on a bench waiting for you. On the outside of the new room is a small waiting area that allows for spectators to view in the room but they can't be seen from the inside.

"Are you ok with this? I can ask him to make the room look like literally anything else."

Yelena slides her gloves on her hands. The gloves have padding over the knuckles but are cut off halfway up the fingers, leaving her bare fingers exposed. No guns are allowed in training but for this session Yelena is equipped with a widows bite bracelet, and a fake knife that looks and feels like a normal knife but any area it makes contact with will be simply left with a red mark to indicate how intense of a wound a normal knife would have made in the same situation. Since you do not fight with weapons, you simply have on a workout shirt and a pair of cargo pants (you enjoy the pockets).

"I'm ok if you're ok." She looks up at you once her gloves are adjusted and gives you a smile. She reaches into one of her vest pockets and pulls out a pair of gloves that match hers. "Here. I got you these gloves. I know you heal faster so having protective gloves doesn't matter that much, but they still might be nice." You reach over and accept the gloves, sliding them on your hands before taking a step closer to Yelena.

"Thank you my little widow. I appreciate the thought... too bad I am still going to have to kick your ass in there."

Yelena scoffs and gently pushes you away. "Not even in your dreams can you kick my ass, y/n."

Tony, Steve, Nat, Vision, and Wanda all walk into the spectator room you and Yelena are currently in. Wanda gives you a cute smile before Tony starts explaining what will happen. "Ok, little Hercules, and spider #2 are going to start us off. These two will have 20 minutes in there to either rack up as many points as possible or land a 'fatal' hit to their opponent. The room has over 1000 different sensors and 30 different nano cameras that will catch every movement and attack. Each time you land a hit or do something that in a normal situation would cause some sort of damage, points will be assigned to that hit and displayed on the scoreboard. If a fatal hit is made, it will be announced and the room will go back to normal. Y/n will repeat this with Steve next and end with Nat."

"So Yelena, Steve, and Nat are my gauntlet?"

"You got it. These three are the best here with hand to hand combat, and since that's essentially your thing, these are your people. Now, get in there and give us a show."

You and Yelena stand up and head into the room. Immediately after you both walk through the doorway the metal door closes behind you, a click echoing in the air. As soon as the sound hits your ears the room transforms in front of both of your eyes to mimic the room from the mission. The ground transforms into cold concrete first. Your gaze drifts from the ground to the walls that slowly dissipate from their original state to the creepy white padded walls from the Hydra base. Finally, the lights brighten and with that as the finishing touch, you and Yelena are transported back to that day where you were shot and she held you in her arms as you bleed from the bullet hole she put into you.