epilogue

i flicked on the lights of my childrens room calling out the words," good morning, lets get dressed."

my daughter, began outstretching her hands to me. i walked over to her as her arms wrapped around my neck, before her tiny body was in my arms. "good morning dad" " good morning kiddo, how did you sleep?"

she yawned softly before her response," not long enough" she said, followed by a soft giggle. my son on the other hand became restless, "dad, why are we up so early." he asked. "because, i have somewhere i want to take you two today."

"okay."

as i picked out their clothes my wife poked her head into the room," hey babe, how are you doing today?"

"im alright, how are you?" i responded, setting the clothes on the dresser. " im well" she said before she pecked my cheek.

"your clothes are over here you two, get dressed and meet me in the living room when you're done." they both nodded at me before i looked at my wife once more.

she motioned me into the hall and placed her hand into mine, in a low whisper she said, "i just wanted to check on you.. i know how this time of the year is for you.." laying her hand on my shoulder.

closing the kids door i smiled," im alright... dont worry"

"you dont have to put this wall up with me.. alright" she said, stroking my cheek softly with her thumb. my head dropped to the side a little, with tears in the corner of my eyes. "i know.." i said. she kissed me gently before speaking the words," i love you" into the hall.

" i love you too" i responded. i gave her a faint smile as i started to walk away from their room, doing my best to keep my head up high before i was out of her sight.

.
.

"so why're we getting flowers"

"because, we're gonna go visit some special people"

"ahhh" they said. we walked around the florist shop, before my eyes landed on an elephant. on the top shelf. my stomach started to churn as i remember the night araceli and i stared at the elephant in shock, as we realized daniel left on his own.

i shook out of my thoughts as i felt a big tug on my sleeve. "what about these?" my daughter asked, holding out some purple and white flowers. " they're beautiful.. these are perfect" i said, "lets go bring em to the counter, okay?"

they both nodded as we all made our way to the counter. the same way old man who's been working ever since i was in grade school took a hard stare at me," tyrell.. hello" he said," how are you" he asked, as he rang up the flowers.

"i could be better. kids this is mr chi, say hello"

"hi mr chi!" they said simultaneously.

"hows the wife?" he asked, before he held out a bucket of candy to the kids," take some, your dad wont mind" the kids looked at me with a big smile,"go ahead" i said," but do not be greedy"

"ah let the youngsters be young" he said to me"you know they love their candy."

"youre not wrong sir" i said. he bagged the flowers up for me, before he laid a hand on mine," you, are a great father, and a great friend. dont let them forget about him okay.."

"yes sir. promise"

he let my hand go gently, before he gave the kids some more candy," be good to your father, hes one of the bests kids ive had in and out of my shop."

"yes sir!" they saluted," we promise!" i laughed gently before i walked the kids outside those doors.

"so.. is he our grandfather?"