Chapter 39|| A Valentine's surprise

Beginne am Anfang

I took it upon myself to find out so, I stood up and made my way over to them, they all seemed to look confused a I made my way over. Remus coughed violently and I froze, it wasn't because he'd coughed, but because he'd hit Sirius across the face as he did so. James and Peter were hysterical and even Remus laughed after apologising, only the black haired boy didn't seem to find it funny. 

I smiled as I finished my walk over to them and I inspected Sirius' forehead. "Doesn't seem so bad to me, not even a mark on your head to show," I commented. 

Sirius glared at me, his eyes watering as he said, "You can't talk, didn't James hit your back that one time during Quidditch practice? Then you claimed he'd tried to paralyze you or break your spine." James whined, "That was one time and it did leave a bruise, more than you can say, you're just overreacting." 

I rolled my eyes at their antics but questioned them about the card I'd got, wondering if they'd seen anybody put it there. Sirius and James froze and blinked, Remus avoided eye contact and Peter shrugged, staring down at his feet. So they do know something, interesting. 

I questioned them a few more times, in various different ways, but didn't seem to come to any kind of answer, it was actually frustrating sometimes on how stubborn they are. 

Natasha came over quickly to say well done on the game yesterday, when we won, and then said, "I've been watching you for a while, not creepily of course, and you won't get anything out of them, good try but come on, leave them to be weird."

They all seemed to take that last comment offensive, even though it was very true, and I walked off with Natasha to see her with some more fellows on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, Niamh and Richard. After a quick congratulations, I noticed that Gideon and Fabian were sat with their usual friends and as they were my next suspects, I decided to head over there after a celebratory breakfast pumpkin juice with half of the team. 

Fabian was talking to Frank quite animatedly, and Gideon and Leon were watching with intense amusement.  "Hey boys, how are you doing?" I asked, without waiting for an answer I said, "Have you seen this? It's quite cute isn't it." 

The boys all looked at it and Frank started to laugh, agreeing with me, Fabian's eyes darted between Leon and Gideon, Gideon's smile seemed forced and Leon's eye twitched. Why is it that all of the suspects I speak to seem suspicious? Their behaviour doesn't help me at all. Curse troublemakers.

"Miss Pattinson, can you explain to me why these boys have turned to nervous statues and why your friends you've just left are now hitting each other across the back of their heads." I turned around, it was McGonagall. 

I shrugged at her, glancing at the Marauders who were laughing but still whacking each other. Peter was having a very fun time, and I could just hear him say, "You're so strange my little moonchild." I coughed, had I just heard that right?

McGonagall raised her eyebrow, waiting for an answer, and I said, "Well these idiots here are always weird, and if those idiots over there are fighting then that's their problem not mine, McGonagall, Professor, not everything that is chaos is caused by me or affiliated with me, surprisingly. It's just a normal day for everyone at Gryffindor to be quite honest, have you missed a few days or have the boys never been strange before?" 

She nodded and gave me one last long look, and then walked off, occasionally glancing back at the Gryffindor table, and I noted that she was probably headed off to her classroom.

"Hey Athena Cynthia, come on girl, we have to hurry to Defence before the Professor murders us in cold blood," Mary shouted from the Great Hall door. Before I could draw any more attention to either of us, I rushed to the entrance of the Hall and we walked out towards the DADA classroom, Dorcas and Pandora tagging along behind us like little puppies. 

I wondered where Evelyn Green was, but when we got there two minutes early, I saw Evelyn talking to Andre in broken French.

"Since when did that Ravenclaw speak French? You're her friend aren't you, what's her name?" Mary asked me. I answered, "It doesn't matter why or how she learns French, and how am I supposed to know? Also, her name is Evelyn Green." 

I probably should have known, I was her friend for many years before I came to Hogwarts, but I guess people have their secrets, no matter how big or small, because I hid from her for years that I was a witch, and I would have never told her either.

That was one thing I hated about me, I had little trust in little people because I could never talk to anyone openly, my parents made sure of that. They'd tried getting me to make friends with the likes of Lucius Malfoy and Wulfric Mulciber, but I'd always thought they were scary and I couldn't bear to be friends with them. 

So instead, I watched them make plans together and talk about horrible things, and I felt trapped. Then, I couldn't tell Evelyn about me being a witch and about my parents so, it pained me every time she asked to come around to my house for tea at times and I always had to say that my mother was very sick and couldn't cook for us and that my dad was never there, he was overseas. 

I guess that's where the secrets were kept and how I learned to be such a good liar, or at least a decent one, I'd become something my mother and father had made me. Even on dreaded Valentine's day.