031. WHAT'S DEAD SHOULD STAY DEAD

"Come on, Sam, I'm begging you. This is stupid." Dean says.

"Why?" Sam asks.

"Going to visit mom's grave? She doesn't even have a grave. There-There was no body left after the fire." Dean says.

"She has a headstone." Sam says.

"Yeah, put up by her uncle, a man we've never even met. So you wanna go pay your respects to a slab of granite put up by a stranger? Come on." Dean groans.

"Dean, that's not the point." Sam argues.

"Well then, enlighten me, Sam."

"It's not about a body, or-or a casket. It's about her memory, okay? And after dad it just... just feels like the right thing to do."

"It's irrational is what it is."

"Look, man. No one asked you to come."

"Why don't we swing  by the roadhouse instead? I mean, we haven't heard anything on the demon lately. We should be hunting that son of a bitch down."

"That's a good idea, you should. Just drop me off, I'll hitch a ride, and I'll meet you there tomorrow."

"Right. Heh. Stuck... stuck with those people, making awkward small talk until you show up? No thanks." Dean says.

"You could take the girls." Sam says.

"Ophelia doesn't like talking to stranger for longer than five minutes and Libby has a very limited vocabulary. It wouldn't go far." Dean shuts the idea down.

+++

After Dean found rotten ground at the cemetery of a college girl who died less than a week ago, the Winchesters stop by the college and knock on the door of the professor who was the girl's dad.

"Dr. Mason?" Dean asks after the man opens the door.

"Yes?" Dr. Mason asks.

"I'm Sam. This is Dean. Uh, Libby and Ophelia. We were friends of Angela's. We... we wanted to offer our condolences." Sam says.

"Please, come in." Mr. Mason lets them walk in and shuts the door behind them. Him and Sam sit down while Dean looks through the bookshelf.

"She was beautiful." Sam says as Dr. Mason flips through a photo album.

"Yes, she was." Dr. Mason sadly smiles.

"This is an unusual book." Dean comments, holding up a book.

"It's ancient Greek. I teach a course." Dr. Mason says.

"So a car accident, that's-that's horrible." Dean says.

"Angie was only a mile away from here when, uh..." Dr. Mason trails off. Ophelia wishes she could make him feel better, the overwhelming grief radiating off of him making her heart break.

"It's gotta be hard. Losing someone like that. Sometimes it's like they're s-still around. Almost like you can still sense their presence. You ever feel anything like that?" Dean asks.

"I do, as a matter of fact." Dr. Mason says.

"That's perfectly normal, Dr. Mason. Especially with what you're going through." Sam says staring at Dean.

"You know, I still phone her. And the phone's ringing before I remember that, uh... family's everything, you know? Angie was the most important thing in my life. And now, I-I-I'm just lost without her."

"We're very sorry." Sam says.

+++

They're at the motel and it's nighttime. Libby is asleep while Ophelia is paying attention to the TV.