004. PHANTOM TRAVELER

Dean peacefully lays on the motel bed, asleep on his stomach. His five year old also peacefully asleep next to him. The sound of the door opening immediately wakens the hunter, alerting him. He acts like he's still asleep as he slowly reaches for the knife under his pillow.

Dean looks at other bed, finding Sam gone, but seeing Libby still asleep, her stuffed animal tight in her grasp as even breaths emit from her.

"Morning, sunshine." Dean hears the voice of his younger brother making him turn towards the shaggy haired man who is holding a carton of drinks and a paper bag.

"What time is it?" Dean asks.

"Uh, its' about 5:45." Sam answers.

"In the morning?" Dean questions.

"Yep." Sam nods.

"Where does the day go?" Dean asks, slowly sitting up, attempting to not wake his daughter up. "Did you get any sleep last night?"

"Yeah, I grabbed a couple hours." Sam says.

"Liar. Cause I was up at three, and you were watching a George Foreman infomercial." Dean states.

"Hey, what can I say? It's riveting TV." Sam says.

"When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?" Dean asks.

"I don't know, a little while, I guess. It's not a big deal." Sam says.

"Yeah, it is." Dean objects.

"Look, I appreciate your concern--"

"Oh, I'm not concerned about you. It's your job to keep my ass alive, so I need you sharp. Seriously, are you still having nightmares about Jess?"

"Yeah." Sam answers, handing Dean his coffee and gently sitting on his own bed, making sure his toddler is still asleep. "But it's not just her. It's everything. I just forgot, you know? This job. Man, it gets to you." His eyes drift to Libby, thinking of how she could've died in the fire and practically died from drowning not even a month ago.

"You can't let it. You can't bring it home like that."

"So, what? All this it... never keeps you up at night?" Sam asks and Dean shakes his head. "Never? You're never afraid?"

"No, not really." Dean shrugs.

Sam reaches under Dean's pillow, pulling out the knife and holding it up.

"That's not fear." Dean protests, taking the knife back. "That is precaution."

"Yeah? No nightmares? Never? None involving water and two certain girls?" Sam asks, glancing between his daughter and niece.

"That's different and you know it." Dean says.

"Whatever. I'm too tired to argue." Sam mumbles.

Dean's phone rings and he answers it. Libby groans from hearing the noise, immediately dragging Sam's attention to her as she slowly wakes up.

"Hey, honey." Sam softly greets, brushing some hair out of her face. "Morning." The toddler groans, holding her arms out to Sam who picks her up, holding her to his chest. She wraps her arms around his neck and rests her head on his shoulder. Sam rubs her back, kissing the side of her head.

Sam looks at Dean who is finishing up the phone call, writing down information on a notepad. He glances at Ophelia, seeing her still asleep.

+++

They're walking through a hangar with the guy who called Dean -- Jerry. Sam is holding Libby and Dean is holding Ophelia's hand.

"Thanks for making the trip so quick. I ought to be doing you guys a favor, not the other way around." Jerry says before focusing on Sam. "Dean and your dad really helped me out."