014. DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS

At the motel, Dean and Ophelia are asleep in one bed. Dean is lying on his back and Ophelia lying on her side and hugging his arm with her face buried in his bicep.

In the other bed, Sam is asleep on his back and Libby is asleep on his chest. Sam's hand is on her back, ready to keep her from possibly falling off.

The phone starts ringing, waking Sam up.

"Dean." Sam groggily calls, but the older brother doesn't wake up. Sam groans, picking the phone up, careful not to move and wake Libby up. He glances at the number, not recognizing it and he picks it up as Libby starts to stir.

"Hello?" Sam asks.

"Sam, is that you?" He hears his father's voice on the phone. Sam sits up, holding Libby to his chest.

"Dad?" Are you hurt?" Sam asks.

"I'm fine." John assures.

"No." Libby sleepily mumbles, not wanting to wake up. She stands on Sam's lap and buries her face in the crook of his neck, attempting to fall back asleep, wrapping her legs around her dad's torso as much as she can and wrapping her arms around his neck.

"We've been looking for you everywhere. We didn't know where you were, if you were okay." Sam says, letting Libby cling to him like a koala, too focused on the conversation with his father.

"Sammy, I'm all right. What about you and Dean?" John asks.

"We're fine. Dad, where are you?" Sam asks as Dean wakes up and sits up a bit after hearing Sam say 'dad'. Dean tries to pry his arm out of Ophelia's grip, but for a child asleep, she has a surprisingly strong hold.

"Sorry, kiddo, I can't tell you that." John says.

"What? Why not?" Sam asks.

"Is that dad?" Dean asks.

"Look, I know this is hard for you to understand. You're just gonna have to trust me on this." John says.

"You're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed mom." Sam says.

"Yeah. It's a demon, Sam." John says.

"A demon? You know for sure?" Sam asks.

"A demon? What's he saying?" Dean asks, sitting up, forgetting Ophelia's attached to him, her being dragged into a sitting position with him, but she still manages to stay asleep.

"I do. Listen, Sammy, I, uh... I also know what happened to your girlfriend. I'm so sorry. I would've done anything to protect you from that." John says.

"You know where it is?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, I think I'm finally closing in on it." John says.

"Let us help." Sam says.

"You can't. You can't be any part of it." John says.

"Why not?" Sam asks.

"Give me the phone." Dean says.

"Listen, Sammy, that's why I'm calling. You and your brother, you gotta stop looking for me. Alright, now, I need you to write down these names." John says.

"Names? What names, dad-- talk to me, tell me what's going on." Sam says.

"Look, we don't have time for this. This is bigger than you think, they're everywhere. Even us talking right now, it's not safe." John says.

"No. Alright? No way." Sam objects, his voice being louder, making Libby whine.

"Give me the phone." Dean says.