Chapter 20|| Winter break

Start from the beginning

They were both extremely good people, and they welcomed Sirius and I like their own family, treating us with respect and kindness, and after a while, the initial awkwardness had finally worn off.

It was on Christmas day when James had barged into my room, shouting at me to get up, shouting, "Thea! Wake up now before I jump onto that bed and suffocate you." This was the point when Euphemia walked in and scolded James for being inconsiderate. 

I went into the bathroom quickly, as it seemed not even Christmas could stall normal routine, before going down a staircase and sitting with the rest of the Potter family and Sirius, who was already holding a present.

"There you are Athena, this one's for you," Fleamont passed me a small square present, grinning childishly. I had already sent my presents to my friends, and put the presents for the people sat around me, under the tree. I opened my first present the same time the youngest Potter did, he had opened it to a bright and obnoxious talking ornament.

 Instead, I found a more delicate box, opening it and taking out a silver necklace with a small lion on it. It looked too expensive for most people, and not expensive enough for any of my family to give me. 

I turned to face everybody in the room and saw a certain black haired boy staring at me, I shook my head and looked again, no, he must be looking at the necklace. I mean, I had to admit, it was sent anonymously, and it was something that the boy could afford. I spoke, bringing the Black's attention to me, "Sirius, do you have any idea who would have bought me this?" 

He smiled and shook his head but I could tell he was lying. I was going to question again, rather surreptitiously, towards him, but he picked up a present.

I opened the next present, and it was a red Muggle Christmas jumper with a snowman on the front, and looking at the note in the box, it read, 'Happy Christmas, from Mia and Fleamont.' I smiled at the couple and thanked them, opening another present from Remus which consisted of a few Muggle fantasy books I could read. 

Peter's present was sweets and chocolate, much to my delight, and then I got much more goods from my dormmates and - unsurprisingly - my parents.

After opening gifts and filling up my trunk by trying to put everything in, I could smell Christmas Lunch made in the kitchen. "Hey Thea, lunch is ready." I thanked Sirius and made my way downstairs with him, still questioning him on the necklace I was wearing. 

He ignored every question and tried to deflect it with talk of Quidditch and the other two Marauders. It was obvious now who had bought me it, and I gave him and O for the effort he made to hide it.

The lunch was delicious, and even though it was half cooked with magic and half home cooked, I appreciated the trouble Euphemia went to cook for two extra people. "Hey Miss Pureblood, sit at the head of the table and be important," James joked. Fleamont chuckled but the female Potter whacked her son with an oven glove as she walked in with a tray of roast potatoes. 

I smiled at the boy, shaking my head, "James, we're all Purebloods here, and I'm important wherever I sit." Sirius grinned, high fiving me, "That's the spirit Thea."

After the wonderful meal, the two Marauders and I went into James' room and sat on his bed, playing exploding snap and talking about what the others would be doing currently. "Hey guys, while he's not here, what do you think of Remus and his mothers condition? I'm not sure any more that .. snap.. he's telling the full truth to us." 

The set of cards exploded just as the black haired boy had a sudden idea and said, "I've just thought of something, do you think his mother is a werewolf?" Me and James pondered the idea.

"That would explain the monthly illness and whenever he's gone on the full moon," James explained. I frowned, thinking of the last day that Remus had said he was going to visit his mother and said amazed, "James, you have a brain! I must say I'm surprised at that fact, and the fact that I have never thought of that." The Potter looked at me offended but Black sniggered in appreciation.

"Boys, Thea, do you want to play Quidditch for a few hours while there's still sun? I just don't want you making a mess of the room by those exploding cards anymore than you've already done," Euphemia called up the stairs. 

I looked at the two boys for confirmation, and we nodded, running down the stairs and walking past the hallway into the back garden. The garden was beautiful, and the trees looked even prettier in the winter. "Would you like me to play, so you have an even enough of amount people?" Fleamont Potter asked us, fluttering his eyelids. 

James glanced at his father.

The youngest Potter said carelessly, "Dad, no I don't. Your back will probably break anyways you're so old." I rolled my eyes at James and said to his father, "You can play if you like Fleamont, it will be easier that way." 

Fleamont smiled at me, and said in a dramatically toned sad voice, "Thank you but if not everyone wants me to play because they feel I'll do better and show them up, I'll pass on that. You'd be an amazing influence on my son if you were siblings." 

"Did my dad just say he wanted you as a child and that you was a good influence, you?" James asked in disbelief. I laughed and nodded, Sirius teasing him as he walked behind us, he was chanting 'James is unwanted' and 'Thea is a good influence' as we walked to where James kept the brooms and the Quaffle. 

I glanced at the grey eyed boy and at the youngest Potter and shook my head in amusement, what a Christmas it had been.