suprise!

The exhilaration of spontaneity as well as anticipation for the destination was what had Daveed up at 3am on a Monday morning. He was heading to the airport and hoping with everything in him he could find an open coffee shop. His flight to Chicago left at 5am, a flight he had booked last night, to get a little over 24 hours with the girl he was slowly falling in love with.

It had been more than a year since they met, but just a few months since they'd started dating. A few of the best months he could actively recall that were cut short when she had to move all the way to Chicago for a job.

There had been more facetimes than he could count, but since she moved a month ago, they hadn't seen each other in person. And after the call last night, when both of them found themselves not wanting to press end call, he decided to pull up the airline website. Because he had Mondays off and he could leave early Tuesday, nothing in his head seemed to stop him.

He moved through the airport, a vending machine coffee in hand, and his excitement building like that of a kid waiting to open their Christmas gifts. Emmy had been given no hint nor idea, and he felt that was the biggest part of the whole thing. He would get there right after she woke up, and after pulling off his self proclaimed expertly crafted suprise, they could have a whole day, in the same area, together.

The airport was quite empty thanks to the hour and he easily navigated his way to his flight. The sleep deprivation allowed for him to pass out right after take off and just as soon as he sat down, he was waking up to a sunny Chicago morning.

Daveed scrolled through his texts, knowing she had sent the address when she was first looking for apartments. He searched the messages and eventually came across the complex he would give to the Uber who would take him there.

His heart raced in his chest once he was let off at her doorstep. He climbed up the one exterior flight of stairs and there he was, face to face with her hanging sign that spelt Home. His hand raised to knock before he suddenly paused. What if she's still sleeping? I should've brought flowers, all sorts of random last minute thoughts ran through his head. With a deep breath to quell his racing mind, he knocked on the door.

It was mere moments before she answered, dressed in a robe, with her mouth immediately dropping at the visitor. Emmy's eyes raised to match her shock and she squealed out loudly, "Oh my god!" Daveed's grin overwhelmed his face as he caught her jump into his arms. She looked up from their hug and rambled off words like "how? what? wait... and huh?" She was beaming, her eyes radiant with both pure joy and surprise.

"Suprise!" was the only information he gave away, pulling away slightly to make a shrug gesture with his hands. His girlfriend laughed at his humble mannerisms and led him into her apartment.

Emmy's apartment was in the heart of the city with open light everywhere. "Do you want to put your bag in my room?" she asked before pausing, "Wait... how long are you even staying?"

"Just a day," he sighed, walking back over and pulling her into yet another hug, "I'd do anything for a day with you though."

Emmy blushed wildly, "You're sweet," she said before leaning up and pressing her lips against his. She pulled away and their foreheads attracted one another's, both sets of eyes staring and fully taking in that they were in this setting together.

Keeping his eyes locked on hers, Daveed spoke softly, "Did I wake you up?" he eyed the pink robe and still bare feet.

"Nope, was just about to make breakfast," she shook her head. She moved her hands down to grab his and walked him towards her kitchen.

He watched on as she pulled out toast, avocados, and a few seasonings. She took out 4 slices of toast, thinking of her partner before he even said a word. As she waited on the toaster she came back towards him, leaning into him and allowing the counter to hold the weight of them both.