you complete me

Ever since Emmy was 12 years old she loved the sunset. The peace that came with it, the colors draping the sky, the endless expanse of it all, it was mesmerizing. When she was younger she would go on her family's porch and curl up alone to watch them. Her parents tried to join her occasionally but they could never reach the calmness needed to sit out for hours the way Emmy liked to.

Tonight, she and her boyfriend of 2 years were going to the beach to watch the sunset. For as much as Emmy loved watching the day fade to night, her and Daveed had never really spent a night watching it together.

"You got everything babe?" Daveed asked coming down the stairs in a long sleeved henley and some soft sweats.

"Yeah, you ready?" she smiled. They lived really close to the beach so even if they didn't go specifically for the sunset they frequented there often.

The got in Daveed's car and drove to the location. When they got out of the car, Emmy grabbed their blankets and Daveed led them to a spot sitted perfectly in the middle of the water and street.

Daveed laid down one of the blankets and sat down first. Emmy sat on top of him, moving to where her head fell right under his chin and on his chest. Daveed used the basket to lean back on and they sat waiting for the sunset.

They had a few minutes before it officially started but it was already becoming that period where day is fading and a serene filter encompasses the landscape.

Daveed wrapped his arms around Emmy and sat his chin on her head. They enjoyed the quiet moment of peace as the sky turned all kinds of blues and purples. "My heart is so full right now," he said leaning to kiss her forehead,"I love you baby."

"I love you too," she said as she wrapped her arms around the ones he had over her. "You mean the world to me Dav, more than you know."

"Aww," he grinned, rocking her from side to side.

"I'm serious. I mean, when everything happened with my dad, I lost a piece of myself that I thought I'd never get back again. Then you come in, and it's like, it's like you made it ok, you made me feel whole again in the lowest part of my life."

"Oh, Em" he said, squeezing her hand.

"You're my world, Daveed. And i've never told you this, but you saved me. When you asked me to move in with you, I know you thought it was fast, and you had no idea, but I needed that. You gave me a home when everything around me was crumbling. I love you," she said as a tear glided down her face.

"Emmy," he said through the tears painting his own face,"You're the strongest person I know," he said hugging her as tight as he could.

Emmy nuzzled her head in his chest and looked out as the sun reached the waterline. "It's so beautiful"

"Just like you," Daveed responded.

"Corny!" Emmy laughed, patting his leg.

"Well, imma be corny for a second. Emmy, when we met, I would've never imagined you were going through so much. You carry everything so well, and I don't know how, because i know how heavy it is. You're incredible and I'm in awe of you. I'm so proud of you. You inspire me immensely, I mean, just watching you, watching you stand tall after all you've been through. Emmy, I don't think you know how amazing you are," he said kissing her forehead again, "You give me hope and just sitting here, watching this sunset, I thank God that I get to be here, holding such an incredible woman in my arms."

"Dav," she sighed turning over to kiss him. They kissed for a long moment, hugging each other for the duration. They had never been so candid with each other, so in touch with their emotions and communicating them with each other. There was much more to say but for now they enjoyed another pocket of peace as they got back in their initial position to watched the night take over.

Emmy shuffled her head a bit and Daveed looked down to see her eyes slowly closing. She had gone to sleep wrapped in his arms and the blanket covering them. Daveed pressed a kiss to her head and adjusted the blanket to make sure she was comfortable. He moved his chin to set it atop her head and used his hand to cover the back of her head.

He sat enjoying this moment of complete silence as the stars twinkled in the sky. He didn't know what he did to deserve her, to deserve this love, but he was so grateful. He loved her so abundantly and as he slept he whispered a few sweet nothings her ear that he knew she couldn't hear but he hoped she could feel it somehow.