keep you safe while you sleep

Emmy shook herself awake, a thin layer of sweat coaxing her entire body. Her heart was beating slightly fast and she was shivering. She couldn't seem to shake the fear from the nightmare that jolted her awake. She didn't even know where she was, she felt as if she was floating in a limbo between her dream space and the real world.

A snore like grunt and shuffle of the body next to her brought her back. She was home, in bed, with her partner, and she was fine. She would be ok. She repeated this over and over to herself painfully attempting to calm down but not make any noise to where she would wake him up.

Emmy let her eyes close in hopes that she would drift back to sleep but every time she did she fell back in to the terror that got her here in the first place. She was tired, exhausted even, but she couldn't sleep.

She tossed and turned, trying everything to put herself at rest, but nothing worked. She could see the outside sun rising, morning, she thought to herself.

Daveed stretched his arms and turned over to face his girlfriend. "Good morning baby" he smiled, speaking with a gruff morning voice.

"Good morning," Emmy replied softly, bundling the covers around herself.

Even with the only light being the one peeking through the window, he could tell she didn't look too great. Her eyes were red and droopy and she looked really tired, especially for someone who should have just woken up not too long ago.

"You ok, babe?" he asked, concerned.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine," she replied.

The hesitations between her words deepened his concern but he figured she would be ok. He knew that if something was wrong she would let him know so he took her at her word. Daveed simply pulled Emmy into his arms and pressed a kiss to her shoulder before cuddling her.

-

"Goodnight," Emmy said, nuzzling her head in the crevice of Daveed's arm.

"Goodnight my love," he spoke.

Emmy could hear hear his breath leveling out as he drifted off into sleep. She tucked her head in between his body and the pillow and attempted to close her eyes but truthfully, she didn't want to fall asleep.

Since the initial nightmare, she had not slept more than an hour or two for the last few nights. When she had slept, she was attacked by the same terrors, and thrust awake in cold sweats. Every time they hit she had quietly tried to calm herself down, not wanting to be a bother. However, no matter how much breathing and reassuring phrases she said to herself, the nightmares haunted her and ingrained a fear that if she slept they would come back.

Hours passed into the night and exhaustion was making it so hard for her to stay awake. The overwhelming fear plus the lack of sleep was giving her a headache so she closed her eyes to attempt relieve it while at the same time using all of her will to fight the sleep she needed so badly.

Eventually her body betrayed her mind and she could no longer fight the need to rest.

"NO, NO, NO," she screamed, her body shaking and her heart pounding, "STOP, NO, AHH," she cried.

She was not even fully awake yet, the screams coming through her subconscious. Emmy's body was overtaken by her sobs. This was probably the worst of the nightmares so far and she couldn't calm down from this one.

"Emmy, emmy, baby, are you ok, wake up," Daveed said, startling awake at the sound of her cries and feel of her shakes. He patted her shoulder to try to coax her awake without making her even more scared.

Daveed reached over to the nightstand and quickly flipped on the switch. Emmy was covered in sweat and he could see her erratic breaths.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Daveed asked, taking her into his arms and using the pad of his thumb to rub the tears flooding her cheek.

"Ni-, nigh-, mare," she said, still shaking and crying.

"You're ok now," he said softly, just now noticing the redness of her eyes and bags occupying the undersides. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Emmy shook her head and just leaned into his side. She used the fabric of his t shirt to wipe his tears and clung on to him with all her might. She didn't want to close her eyes, the threat of another nightmare far too great.

Daveed recognized the way she was clinging to him and decided against asking further questions. He could tell she wasn't ready and he vowed to give her all the time she needed.

"I love you so much," he said before tightening his grasp around her.

Emmy didn't sleep for the rest of the night and neither did Daveed. He could hear the occasional sniffles through the night but he simply kissed he forehead and let her breathe. He never took his eyes off of her, continuing to hold her and keep her safe.

-

Daveed patted the sofa next to him to signal Emmy to come sit. He couldn't deny the fact that she didn't look great. She was moving so slowly, the fatigue obviously killing her energy. The nightmares had continued since he found out about them and learned just how long she had been without sleep. She could barely hold her eyes open but everything in her was battling against it.

Emmy came to sit next to him and curled into his side. "What should we watch?" she asked.

"Hamilton," he replied, snarking.

"Ha!" Emmy laughed and turned on The Great British Bake Off.

She leaned more and more into his side and pulled the blanket over them. Emmy always got really into bake-off shows like this and would frequently shout at the screen. Daveed found it hilarious and laughed his head off everytime she would go "Hurry up! You're burning it!"

About halfway into the show, the comments stopped and Daveed looked down. Emmy had fallen asleep laying in his arms with her hand on his chest. A wide smile broke onto his face. 7 days. Emmy had gone 7 days without sleep and here she was snoring on his chest.

He was so happy she was finally getting the rest she so desperately needed. She deserved to be able to sleep peacefully and he hated that her mind was taking that away from her.

Daveed also knew how much this meant. It meant she trusted him. It meant that she knew he would protect her, that she felt safe enough to fall asleep in his arms, that she trusted him with her whole body, he whole life. He was so glad to be that person for her. He valued her so much and he hoped she saw that as well. He would do everything he could to keep her safe not only while she slept, but for the rest of her life.

Emmy was heavily snoring and her breaths had long leveled off. Daveed was so grateful for this contrast from the rapid breaths and bodily shakes of the previous nights. He pulled her close being extremely careful not to wake her and whispered sweet nothings in her ear.

Before he joined her in sleep, he placed another kiss one her forehead and whispered:

"I got you Emmy ... now, forever, and always"