a perfect date

Daveed and Emmy were bored. Really bored. Extremely bored. They had done as many "watch projects" as they could handle. Configured every jigsaw puzzle in the house. Emmy had used up all her bracelet making thread, and Daveed had written music until he physically couldn't anymore.

Emmy skipped into the kitchen, garnering a wide grin from Daveed who was sitting on the barstools under their island. She walked up behind them and shifted all her weight onto him, hugging him from behind.

"We should go somewhere," she said.

"Umm... Emmy, there's a pandemic," Daveed replied, grabbing her hand and lacing their fingers together.

"Noo, you know, like something safe. We could go on a drive somewhere," said Emmy as she moved to the adjacent stool and leaned on the counter.

"I feel like you already have this 'somewhere' planned out" Daveed smirked although his giggle was shining through.

"Are you hungry? I'm gonna grab a few things go crank up the car"

"Ok Emmy," Daveed couldn't help but smile at her antics.

A few minutes later, Daveed had already pulled the car out of the garage when Emmy, followed by luna and moose, walked out with a handful of knit blankets and a couple of pillows.

"Drive to Papa johns, please" Emmy commanded, her own laugh coming through on the last word, the serious tone crumbling.

Daveed burst out in laughs at this point. It was the middle of summer, yet Emmy had pulled out their thickest blankets. The Papa Johns part was slightly surprising too. Emmy was a bit of a health nut but always had a weakness for cheese pizza.

"Is this Papa Johns located at the North Pole" Daveed questioned with a smile.

"No," Emmy playfully hit his arm, "We're going on a date."

"Oh man, when was the last time we had one of those," Daveed said, "But, to Papa Johns?"

"Yep, a cozy date. I already ordered. The blankets are so we can have a picnic in the trunk," replied Emmy.

"You're too cute," said Daveed, and with that, he set one hand on the steering wheel and used the other one to once again lace his fingers with hers. He then pulled out of their driveway and headed to Papa Johns.

-

When they arrived at Papa Johns, Daveed reversed parked, Emmy's idea, away from everyone else, his idea, and got out of the car, not before donning the green and orange mask Emmy had ordered for him.

While Daveed was picking up the food that was probably too much for two people, Emmy began setting up their date. She moved to dog seats out of the way and laid down the back seats. They drove a white land rover with red interiors. The size of the vehicle gave plenty of room for the family of four, and the red color allowed lots of wiggle room for messes. She put the pillows in the corners and laid one of the blankets flat. She would use the second blanket to wrap around them.

Daveed finally made it back to the car, smiling, but shaking his head at all that she had ordered. A large cheese pizza, a box full of wings, cheese bread, and a cookie pizza.

"Hey," she defended, "We haven't been on a date in how long, I wanted to go big," she laughed.

Daveed simply laughed and climbed into the trunk she had set up for their night. He set down some disposable plates he had gotten with the food, and pulled Emmy into his side. He pulled the blanket over the two of them and kissed her forehead before digging into the food.

The sun was setting and Emmy curled deeper into Daveed's chest. They had finished eating but conversation was still going. This had always been the case in their relationship. They flowed so well together and bounced off each other perfectly so there was always something to talk about. As Emmy watched the changing night sky, they talked about the dogs, a little bit of work, and expanding their family.

They packed up the leftovers and began the drive home.

"This was really nice actually. We should do this more," Daveed spoke.

"I was thinking it could be our weekly thing, you know, like our tradition," Emmy replied.

"Weekly Papa Johns trunk dates. It's perfect" He smiled.

Daveed pulled into the driveway and laughed as he said, "Now I gotta think of something to top this"

Emmy giggled, "Is someone jealous?"

"All jokes," he smiled as he pulled her into a tight hug, "Thank you for the date. I love you"

"I love you too. So much," She replied.

-i promise i'll try my hardest not to make every chapter mention the pandemic but that's my only inspiration right now so bear with me🪐