renovations

Daveed and Emmy had moved into their squeaky clean completely white home about 4 years ago. In that time they had gotten and additional dog and welcomed their first child, but they had not really done anything to make their house into a home.

They had obviously moved all their stuff in and decorated but the place still didn't seem to reflect them. Daveed and Emmy wanted their home to match their colorful personalities and so today they were taking on some renovations. Emmy had ordered some self application wallpaper and Daveed had gone to the home improvement store to pick up the backsplash and paint she ordered.

Both Daveed and Emmy had the day off so they were going to try to get everything done, DIY style. They were starting in the kitchen. The plan was to take down the plain white cabinets and paint them a forest green color and then apply a black mosaic backsplash between the upper and lower cabinets.

Daveed and Emmy were woken up bright and early from hearing their toddler scream their name from across the hallway. They had informed their daughter of their plans for the day and she was ecstatic to help. She came running in their room moments later, her curls bouncing in the air.

"Good morning Monroe," Emmy cooed taking her from the floor into her lap on the bed. The family sat in the bed for a little until Daveed got up to take a shower. Emmy decided to take this time to get Monroe dressed. She dressed her in some tiny denim overalls that she didn't mind getting paint on. Emmy tied her daughters hair back and took a step back to admire the adorable little human she created with the love of her life.

By the time Emmy had carried Monroe back to their room, Daveed was coming out of the bathroom. They switched places and Emmy got dressed while Daveed played with Monroe.

Emmy came out of the bathroom dressed in a white t-shirt and sweatpants, an outfit very similar to Daveed's. All three of them walked downstairs and were greeted by their dogs who had too woken up for the day.

The night before, Daveed had removed the cabinets off the wall and sat them on a tarp so they could paint. None of them really knew anything about renovations, but it couldn't be that hard right?

"We have a lot of cabinets to paint," Emmy said, taking in just how much work they had to do.

"Let's get started," Daveed laughed, grabbing Monroe and pretending to fly her over to the kitchen. Emmy joined them and poured some paint in the roller tin. Daveed took half and she would take the other half.

Monroe wanted to join in so Emmy gave her a little paintbrush to use. Monroe was Emmy's mini-me all around. She followed Emmy everywhere, she was her spitting image, and they had the exact same personalities. Daveed loved seeing them interact. Even know, as Emmy was holding her hand to show her how to paint, Daveed's heart was exploding.

Daveed finished his cabinet and Emmy had finished another one, but Monroe was still doodling on the one they let her paint. It was an adorable sight to both Daveed and Emmy. Their 3 year old daughter had no idea what she was doing and they would have to go over her work, but the joy in her eyes as she painted was unmatched. The parents loved to see their daughters childlike innocence and they wanted nothing more than for her to have that joy forever.

Daveed and Emmy sat by their daughters side and grabbed some paintbrushes. They dipped their brushes in some paint and began painting alongside Monroe.

"What are you painting, babygirl," Daveed asked.

"A rainbow!" she gleamed.

"Oh how pretty" he said before playfully slinging his paintbrush at her. Specks of paint landed on her overalls.

"Daddy!" she laughed.

Emmy dipped her paintbrush and slung it back at her husband, paint landing all in his hair. "Get him Monroe!"

The three of them ran around the kitchen throwing paint back and forth at each other. Monroe couldn't stop giggling and neither could Daveed and Emmy. The cabinets and everything else were completely forgotten.

When they finally tired out, they had paint everywhere, all over themselves and parts of their kitchen. All of them had laughed so hard their stomachs were hurting, but they also had matching smiles from ear to ear.

At this point it was time for dinner and there was no way they would be finished with the remaining cabinets, backplash, and wallpaper by the end of the day, but they were fine with it. Today was a memory them nor their daughter would ever forget and that was much more important than any home remodel.