freedom to feel pt 2

Daveed rocked on his heels before raising his hand. He knocked... once.... twice, before he heard the clicking of the locks. The door was slid open and she stood before him.

Emmy smiled in the doorway, standing in a green dress in heels. She moved the door to further open him into her apartment. Her arms immediately embraced him, pulling him into a hug. "Hi," she sang sweetly.

"Hey Emmy," he replied. His arms wrapped around her to tighten their hug. Their eyes made contact and his head fell to hers to pull her lips into a kiss. As they kissed, Emmy's hand slowly moved from Daveed's neck down to his back. Before they pulled away, her eyes went slightly wide at the moisture on the back of his dress shirt.

"Did you work out before this?" she asked him.

Daveed shook his head with a perplexed look on his face, "No," he said, wondering what prompted her to ask. "You ready?" he asked her, switching the subject.

"Yeah let me just get my purse," she said before running back into her home. From the doorframe, he watched her grab the clutch that was sitting on the living room coffee table. She strapped the bag on her shoulder and smiled as she walked toward him. He rocked on his heels before reaching out his hand to take hers.

Outside Emmy's building, the two walked side by side, their bodies leaning into each other as they walked. It had been just a few days since the two confessed their feelings, and they were going on their first official date. Daveed had been nervously prepping this date since before he could remember almost, it was like he'd been thinking of it since he started to fall for her.

'They had fallen into a sort of comfortable silence as they walked to the restaurant that was on the fancy side. It wasn't far from Emmy's place and at some point, along the walk, she leaned her head over on Daveed's shoulder. "How was your day?" she said as she looked up at him and broke the silence.

"It was good, yeah," he replied timidly.

The rest of the walk was that familiar silence until Daveed held the door open at the front of the restaurant. "Thank you," Emmy smiled sweetly before walking into the dimly lit dining room. "Damn," she wowed, " I didn't know it was this fancy." The two of them looked around at the many golden lights before they were prompted by the hostess.

She brought them to a table towards the back, situated right by the window. Maintaining his gentlemanly nature, Daveed pulled out Emmy's chair before sitting down himself. They were quickly brought a bread basket and left alone to start their date.

Daveed looked into Emmy's eyes before turning his lips up into a soft smile. "You're so beautiful," he complimented.

"Thank you," she smiled back, "You look good too." She set her hand on the table and grabbed his to rest them across the middle. "And uh, I was talking to Rafa today," she said before pausing, " He said yall were working on something that he couldn't say yet but.... since I'm your girlfriend now...maybe I could know?" she asked with a smirk.

Daveed shook his head as he let out a chuckle, "He can tell you," he continued to giggle, "It's not much yet anyway, just trying to get a movie off the ground."

Emmy jumped in her seat, squeezing his hand tighter as she leaned in close, "That's not nothing!," she smiled proudly, "That's so exciting!"

Daveed shrugged and gave her his signature shy grin, "I mean... yeah it's pretty exciting."

"You're amazing," Emmy grinned as well, "I'm sure it's gonna be great."

Their orders were soon brought out, the waitress interrupting the slow-flowing conversation. Daveed and Emmy began to dig into their steak and pasta dishes, respectively. Daveed started to cut his steak into bites before getting lost in some art that hung on a wall behind Emmy. Noticing his distractions, Emmy reached her fork over and grabbed a piece of steak from his plate.

The extra movement brought Daveed's attention back to the table and he laughed at Emmy's laughs while she chewed the piece of steak. "That's pretty good," she snarked.

"Oh yeah?" he asked before swiping a noodle from her bowl. He laughed as he chewed, his mouth wide open during his belly laughs.

"Gross," Emmy giggled as she shook her head.

The two of them continued to eat their food, taking turns teasing each other. Once he was just about finished, Daveed started to push a piece of broccoli slowly across his plate. Emmy watched as he fidgeted like that of a child. Their eyes continued to meet each other but she could tell he was thinking of something deeper.

"Whatcha thinking about?" she said in the same sing-song tone as before. She raised their clasped hands and clasped and unclasped them before setting them back down.

"Nothing," he sang back.

Emmy tiled her head with a smirk, " Yeah right," she said before stabbing the broccoli he continued to play with using her fork. She brought the vegetable to her mouth and ate it forcing him to turn back his attention.

"I guess," Daveed shrugged, "I'm just nervous... I don't know... I want this to be perfect."

"Daveed," she said sympathetically, "It doesn't have to be perfect. When has anything about us been perfect?

"I don't know," Daveed started to say before he was cut off.

"What if we just," Emmy started, "be friends? Not like friend zone, but you were my best friend 5 days ago, and you're still my best friend now?"

"You're more than that now," Daveed responded.

Emmy squeezed his hand once more and looked intently into his eyes. "I'm in love with you Diggs. But that doesn't take anything away from our friendship."

Daveed couldn't help but smile widely at her words, "I love you too," he said full-heartedly. "I'm in love with my best friend, " he said more to himself than to her.

"This place probably isn't helping either," Emmy chuckled, "Not too sure this is us," her hand waved around the dark room.

He laughed at her mannerisms, "Yeah I probably could've picked somewhere more chill." He held his hands up to his face and pretended to cry dramatically, "I failed."

"What if we... bounce and get milkshakes?" Emmy asked, already rising up from the table.

"Yes," Daveed agreed immediately, standing up from his seat. He dug around in his pocket quickly and pulled out enough cash to cover dinner and a generous tip. With that, the two of them scurried out of the restaurant, hand in hand.

They walked to an ice cream shop they frequented before they were dating. It was a quaint place with some funkiness added from it being not only an ice cream shop but a bookstore. It was actually their favorite place to hang out together.

As they stood in line, Daveed held his arm around Emmy's back and they leaned into one another. "Chocolate with strawberry whipped cream?" he asked her about the order she had gotten ever since they started going here.

"Yup. Vanilla with chocolate syrup extra whip." she repeated his order that he too got every time.

With the milkshakes in hand they moved to sit on the tiny couch in one corner near the cookbooks. Emmy took a seat first followed by Daveed. She shifted her body sideways and put her legs over his lap.

They sipped and talked and laughed until they forgot what they were laughing about. It was just like old times yet this time with another layer of love added.

Daveed grinned at his girlfriend's cheerful laugh. It was making him happy to see her so happy. "We should take a picture," he said, interrupting the laughter, "First date, gotta remember it."

Emmy nodded and pulled up her phone. She raised the camera to show their faces. The two of them donned bright smiles for the first one making sure their milkshakes got in the shot.

On the second flash of the camera, Daveed quickly moved to press a kiss to his cheek, perfectly timing it to get her shining blush in the picture.

After that, Emmy set her phone back in her lap. She turned to face him with the blush still residually on her cheek. "I love you," she grinned. She leaned in to kiss him, this time bringing her hand up to snake to the back of his neck.

They ended with a few fluttered kisses before pulling away. "I love you so much," Daveed replied, completely and over the moon happy with how their first date had turned out.