sing me to sleep

Emmy ran her fingers though her boyfriends hair and watched as his eyes drew closed. He was laying in her lap atop their shared bed of their apartment. Daveed shifted slightly, wrapped his arms around her waist, and nuzzled his head closer to her body. They had formed a sort of cocoon, a warm nest between the two of them.

Daveed began to make soft sleepy noises as Emmy kept lightly raking his hair to coax him towards his sleep. She did this almost every night, whether it was her body curling into his or his on hers with both of them guiding the other into a slumber.

On this night, as he was slowly falling asleep she started to hum. This hum transformed into words and she began to sing. "We got everything we need right here. And everything we need is enough," it was a small piece of Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson that she melodized into his ear.

As she sang, she rubbed circles onto his back as she felt him slump deeper into her. The echo of his snores let her know that he was sound asleep, dreaming to the beat of her melody.

She hummed just a few more notes before shifting Daveed once more in order to move her own body into the covers. His body found hers again like opposite ends of a magnet, yet this time she curled into him, humming her own self to sleep, deep within his arms.

2 years later

"Ready to go up," Emmy asked through a loud yawn, patting on the knee of her husband who sat next to her on the couch.

"Yeah, I'm so tired," Daveed matched her yawn, "I mean- such an exhausting task, lying on the couch watching movies," he laughed and pointed at the tv that roared before them.

"It's the rain, I'm telling you it forces you to be tired and lazy," Emmy laughed outwardly, cocking her head to lie on his shoulder.

"I think you're right, come on, let's go up before we end up sleeping down here" he said, taking both of her hands to stand up.

Daveed and Emmy walked up the stairs to their bedroom, hand in hand, yawning on the way up.

They entered the room to see their bed, made up only a few hours before. Daveed and Emmy moved to their respective sides and began undoing the pillows and comforters.

Emmy climbed into her side of their king bed followed by Daveed climbing into his. Much had changed- a marriage, a house, a king bed rather than the tiny full- since they began living together years ago, but the routine was still the same.

Emmy pulled the sheets up over both of them and scooted closer to Daveed. She wrapped her arms around him first and it was not long until he copied her movement, bringing her even closer with his arms and leaning his forehead into hers.

Both of them began to dose off, their breaths evening, and their minds slowly drifting to dream space. Emmy began to hum once again- just above a whisper. She continued the song she sang oh so long ago, "Just so easy when the whole world fits in your arms. Do we really need to pay attention to the alarm."

She sang these words whilst they were still wrapped in each other's embrace. The sound of her voice brought Daveed slightly back to consciousness as he look up from where his head had fell on the pillow. He smiled at her once she finished this verse and began to rub his hand up and down her back.

Daveed couldn't contain the grin that had come over him even though he was still partially asleep. He leaned in to press a kiss on her cheek. "You're my world, Em, my whole world, never letting you go," he murmured before both of them fell asleep, the notes of the song ingrained in their heads, the words holding so much truth to both of them.

1 year after that

"She's so fussy," Emmy exclaimed as she continuously rocked the screaming newborn in her arms.

"Do you want me to try?" Daveed asked, watching from where he had been unmaking their bed.

"You can- I don't know... I fed her, she had a bath, her diapers changed, fresh clothes, I've been rocking her forever..."

"Let me see her Em," Daveed said while he walked over to Emmy's side and reached his hands out, "Come here Monroe, what's wrong babygirl?"

Emmy took a second to exhale and Daveed reached a hand out to comfort her through rubbing her shoulder. She moved to sit at the foot of their bed, Monroe still screaming her lungs out. "I'm just so tired, I know she's sleepy too, she has to be"

"She's trying to fight it," Daveed sighed, continuing to rock her in the way that Emmy had.

"I even tried putting her in her swaddle, she screamed even more," Emmy shrugged, her brain running out of ways to help her own daughter.

"Want to try putting her in our bed?" Daveed suggested.

"We can try, at least we could maybe get a second to lie down, I know you're probably exhausted too" Emmy replied.

"Don't worry about me babe, you're the one who has hardly slept in the week since you gave birth," he said as he walked to where she was sitting and wrapped his free arm around her in a hug.

"I can't not worry about you- but let's try putting her in our bed" Emmy said through the screams that were still overpowering their bedroom, "I don't know if babies get headaches but if so, all this crying has to be killing her poor head"

"And that might be adding to the reason why she's crying," Daveed sighed, wishing more than anything that he could help his little girl.

He placed her in the middle of the bed and he and Emmy climbed on the sides. Monroe quieted for just a minute as she twisted and turned, recognizing her new surroundings and the fact that she was lying down.

Her face upturned and both Daveed and Emmy could feel the oncoming sobs. Just as they thought, moments later, Monroe began to cry again, her brain not wanting to give her the sleep she so desperately needed. Daveed sat up and reached up to grab her before he was stopped by Emmy.

"Hold on one sec," Emmy said, continuing to lay down but rubbing her hands along her baby's scalp, "The song I used to sing to you- do you remember it?"

"I could never forget it," Daveed replied, "But-"

"Sing it with me," Emmy cut him off once again, Monroe still crying next to them. She started off with a hum and then began to sing softly to her daughter, "Cause you're my little lady. Lady lady love me."

Daveed joined in after this and they sung in unison, "Cause I love to lay here lazy. We could close the curtains. Pretend like there's no world outside,"

Monroe's screams began to quiet as she stared intently into the eyes of her parents who were singing above her. She was captivated by the noise, so much so that her eyes were fluttering shut and the tiniest of smiles peek through on the very corners of her lips.

Daveed and Emmy kept singing, "We could pretend it all the time. And can't you see thats it's just raining, baby. There ain't no need to go outside,"

All of the cries, screams, and sobs ceased and Emmy looked down to see a sleeping baby, curled into the fetal position, sleeping as softly as a kitten. She was so, so quiet, such a stark change from the violent cries of minutes before and all that had changed was the harmonies of their voices.

Daveed looked at Emmy with such awe on his face. They read each other and with no words- as to not wake up their hardly a week old daughter- they sent the message of did we just do that?

Smiles graced their faces as they leaned over Monroe to give each other a goodnight kiss that doubled as a pat on the back. Not long after, both Daveed and Emmy dozed off as well, exhaustion overtaking them along with a new feeling of happiness and accomplishment at their teamwork and love they shared for each other and their daughter.

a/n- this is probably my favorite or one of my favorite one shots from the whole book