sweet life

Emmy walked through the patio and back into the house where she was greeted with the warmth radiating from the oven and into their Californian home. It was already hot outside, but the oven added an extra feeling of coziness, one that reminded her of baking during cold nights at her childhood home.

"Dogs busy and occupied, far away from the chocolate," she smiled at her partner, Daveed, who was working on his mise en place, getting al the ingredients laid out for them to make cookies.

"Suprised Luna went out in all this heat," he said in shock, standing up from the refrigerator with butter and eggs.

"It was a fight," Emmy giggled, "But I think when she found some shade, she was good."

"Great," Daveed smiled softly, "Now are you gonna help or..."

Emmy moved to the sink to wash her hands, "You know, I think I'll just watch you. You seem like you've got it under control," she laughed.

"Mhm, so that same logic will apply when it's time to eat them?" he joked.

Emmy walked over to wear he was standing and slightly leaned into his side. He had pretty much everything out, they just had to put it all together. He also had brought out their KitchenAid mixer.

"Well, where do you want me, Mr. Chef?" Emmy asked, using her hip to bump his side.

"I got the oven preheated," he began, "Can you crack the eggs?"

"Of course," she smiled. Emmy grabbed a ramekin and 4 eggs and cracked them all. She cracked the yolks and mixed them as Daveed was mixing the butter and sugar together.

"Egg and Vanilla, at your service," she said as he finished folding the sweet butter. She handed him the eggs first and then the vanilla extract.

Next they had to get the dry ingredients. Emmy took a separate bowl and sifted the flour and baking powder together.

When she was hardly paying attention, Daveed spoke up, "Hey babe, you got something-"

Emmy look up confused when he suddenly took a pinch of flour and blew it at her.

"Hey," she gasped, and repeated his action.

The two of them laughed out loud but quickly stopped the flour hijinks once they realized neither one of them wanted to clean up a mess of flour.

Once the flour was smooth enough to go in, Emmy added it to the large mixer. Daveed flipped on the buttons and they watched as their dough came together.

"It's perfect," Emmy said, looking down at the cookie dough and then raising up on her toes to kiss him.

"Indeed it is," Daveed agreed, "We just gotta add the chocolate.

Daveed unhooked the mixing bowl from the stand and pulled it out. He grabbed the bag of chocolate chips and poured some in. He handed Emmy a spatula. "Would you like to do the honors, madame?"

"Thank you sir," she said in a bad British accent. Daveed laughed as she began to stir in the chocolate morsels. Right before their eyes, the chocolate chip cookie dough came more and more together until it was done.

"Well, would you look at that," Daveed said in admiration.

"We should taste it," Emmy grinned, "Just a little bit."

She pinched off the smallest of pieces and fed it to him. She then took an equally small piece and tried it herself. Both of them hummed mmm's at the same time, mutually agreeing that they had nailed it.

Emmy grabbed a baking sheet and spraid it with a light coating of nonstick spray. They had actually had two cookie scoopers in the cabinet, so it worked out perfectly.