i do

Soulmates. That was something that was never on his radar. He wasn't even sure he believed in it. He had been in several relationships, and had a great time in all of them. But soulmates? The idea of finding "the one", his one? That felt barbaric.

That was, up until 5 years ago, when he formed an instant connection with the woman he now knew as the love of his life, his soulmate, his fiancé, and soon to be wife, the last one being made true in the current moment of her strolling towards him in front of all their friends and family.

The air was clear and all their love flowed through it. His tear stained eyes matched hers and wedding bells played over the sniffles of the crowd. Her dress was breathtaking and herself even moreso. There was nothing more that Daveed could ask for, the day he had been waiting for since the first day they exchanged hellos, was finally here.

Emmys expressions mirrored, the squeeze on her father's hand as they walked together grew tighter by the millisecond, not by way of nerves and fear but because of the knowledge that this was so right, the excitement to call Daveed her husband, and the thought of her forever with him.

She got closer and closer to him until their eyes were close enough to lock in. A sea of people surrounded them yet this time was only for them. That first look, the first close up of Emmy in a delicate lace gown and Daveed in his 3 piece suit, both hearts exploded with admiration for one another.

The moment they'd stolen for themselves was interrupted only for the officiant to begin the ceremony. He gave his spiel announcing the purpose of this beautiful gathering of friends and family, to "watch Daveed Diggs and Emmy Raver Lampman be joined in marriage."

As he continued his speech, Daveed's attention faltered, his mind begging for a rush, begging to get to the part where he got to say I do in front of everyone he loved. He whispered I love you at a time only she could hear and received a radiant blush in return. He knew that she too was waiting for the good part, they just couldn't help themselves.

This waiting that seemed to be longer than it was dimmed when it was time for their confessions of love, their vows. It was the best kept secret of the day, neither Daveed nor Emmy had even an inkling of what the other would say.

Daveed went first, tears shining on his first line as he spoke:

Emmy,
To say you changed my life would be an understatement,
And to say I am who I am today because of you is the greatest honor.
You are bold, fun, brilliant, and kind; I love you more everyday,
My first thought of the morning and my last at
night,
Day in and day out you're the one for me,
Nothing in this world compares to being with you,
and I couldn't imagine a life without.
My heart has expanded more than I ever believed it could, all thanks to you.
You're my best friend and the love of my life,
I promise to love and cherish you till beyond the end of time,
I couldn't be happier to marry you.

Emmy sniffled as her eyes shone. She so badly wanted to fall in his arms and stay there. Her brain was all consumed with emotions. And just like him, tears of joy fell out as she opened her mouth:

Daveed,
Loving you is so easy,
And it has been since the first day.
For years I dreamed of the big wedding,
My day to be a princess,
Yet everyday of these past few years,
I didn't have to dream of being that wedding princess,
Because you never make me feel short of the luckiest royalty,
You are the kindest man I know,
The most thoughtful,
And the one person I want to spend every single day with.
I love you forever,
I am eternally grateful our souls crossed paths,
I promise to hold you, support you, cheer you on, and love you unconditionally,
For the rest of eternity.

Daveed and Emmy wept softly, trying to hold it in so the ceremony could continue. Yet they were not alone, Rafael could be heard crying behind them, as well as Jasmine, and all sets of parents in the first row. This exchange was one they had been waiting for, and it was everything they anticipated. There was something so solid about speaking promises to each other and proclaiming your love in front of everyone.

The officiant called for the rings to be brought up, and to the cue of a friend on the back row, Luna began to trod down the aisle, the rings on a bed within a basket in her mouth. It was Emmy's idea to choose the puppy to bear the rings. Luna had been with her long enough to be like a daughter and Daveed was like a second parent.

The puppy made its way towards them and the rings were taken in hand. As he held the bed, the man given the honor of marrying them was finally about to deliver the lines that had been rotating through their heads since the ceremony began. Preceding that, however, was the ring exchange, and the officiant asked, "Would you two like to exchange rings?"

Daveed and Emmy took the wedding bands in hand, his in hers and hers in his. Both had the inner engravings of D&E along with the date, for a constant reminder of their special day.

For this time, Emmy went first. She held the ring in one hand and Daveed's in the other. "Let this ring be a symbol of my devotion and promises to you," she declared, sliding the ring on his left finger.

Daveed's grin showed through his cheeks and he repeated her actions, "Let this ring be a symbol of my devotion and promises to you," he said as he too slid the shining band on her fingers.

The most anticipated and final line was now theirs to hear. Emmy's eyes locked on his once more and she grinned the widest smile. The two of them were bursting at the seams, all of Daveed's dimples were shown in his soft smile. "Daveed, do you take Emmy to be your lawfully wedded wife?" she could overhear.

Without question, and any hesitation at all, Daveed replied a simple, "I do."

"Emmy, do you take Daveed to be your lawfully wedding husband?" was the next question of the older man.

"And with the same urgency she replied, "I do."

"You may now kiss the bride," was all that was said before Daveed's hand flew up to the sides of Emmy's face. He pulled her in slowly and pressed his lips against hers. Her arms grabbed his as they kissed for the first time as a married couple. This was the final mark solidifying their forever, and they pulled away slowly with matching smiles displaying all their affection for one another. Their love was now forevermore and they couldn't imagine a better life.