pizza nights

Emmy stepped out of the door currently being held by her partner and was met with the chilly January breeze. She held onto the inside of the door, waiting until she could acclimate and level her feet. The wind brought movement to her wool cardigan and she wrapped it around the tank top encasing her slowly growing 5 and a half month old belly.

Daveed took notice of her lean on the door and held out his hand. She had become balanced but she took the hand anyway and moved to open the back door of their car. Inside was their freshly awakened 2 year old, coming off a goldfish induced nap.

"Hi sweet girl," Emmy smiled at her daughter whose arms were reaching up towards her.

Emmy unbuckled all the protective belts around her and pulled her out of the seat. She laid her on her chest, to which she took the opportunity to lay her head on Emmy's shoulder and close her eyes once more.

"Someone's in a food coma," Emmy giggled softly.

Daveed closed the door behind Emmy and Monroe and placed his hand on Emmy's back followed by a quick rub. "While she's asleep, I can hold her so she doesn't hurt your back," he offered.

"It's ok right now, but can you grab a blanket so I can wrap her up? And her jacket, just in case it's colder when we leave," Emmy replied.

"Of course," Daveed said grabbing the items, placing the blanket over his daughter, and picking up the pink backpack holding everything else they may need. He put the backpack on his own back and with that, the four of them walked into Mellow Mushroom.

Since before Emmy had been pregnant and cooking had become tough, they loved to come here on cold days to curl up in a booth and enjoy some warm pizza.

Once they were inside, the hostess greeted them and led them to a booth towards the back. She brought a high chair for Monroe who was still half asleep but managed to be put in the chair with only a little protest. Daveed and Emmy took their seats on the opposite ends of the table.

"Do you want to share one or do personals?" Emmy asked, "I probably won't finish a whole one by myself."

"We can share, I also want to get some buffalo chicken dip," said Daveed.

Shortly after, their server arrived and they ordered the dip along with a medium half pepperoni and sausage- half dairy-free veggie pizza.

Monroe was now wide awake, wide eyed at the change in location from where she had initially fell asleep. She was trying to grab at the silverware on the table, but everytime she reached for it, Daveed playfully moved it farther and farther away.

Monroe erupted in giggles at the game they were now playing and her laugh spread to Emmy causing her own laughing fit. Daveed and Monroe kept it up, Daveed moving the forks and knives closer to her and then pulling them away before they could be in her grasp. Emmy's laughs, however, started to die out as she felt a sharp pain coursing in between her ribs and feeding into the side of her back.

She groaned in pain as she desperately tried to rub away some of the pressure. She used her hand to rub her rib area through the cardigan, not wanting to be too obvious, but not wanting the fiery pain to persist.

"Em, you ok?" Daveed asked as he watched her ministrations.

"His foots stuck in my ribs," she sighed, still rubbing with no relief.

"Come here, let me help" Daveed said, patting next to him on the seat.

Emmy stood up holding onto her stomach and moved around the table to scoot next to her husband. She leaned all her weight onto him and curled into his side. Daveed wrapped his arm around her and began rubbing the side that was causing her so much pain.