Secrets out

It had almost been a miracle they kept it up this long. When the pandemic had hit and they were doing press from home nearly everyday, both of them just knew they would forget to move a toy or something would happen to make people figure it out. There were a few close calls, like the time she and Emmy both got sick on a day Daveed was swarmed with zoom meetings. Luckily though, he was able to get out of the ones that needed video, and no one found out before they were ready.

They never really planned on doing this, but to be fair, they didn't plan her either. When Emmy found out she was pregnant 5 years ago, it was the last thing she was expecting. What she thought was a prolonged stomach bug ended up being a little girl. At the time, she and Daveed had just began to share their relationship and fans weren't going easy on Emmy. She knew that her being pregnant would just add on to the dogpile, and she wanted to protect her daughter from that.

Since then, nobody outside of their friends or family knew that Ella existed or even that Emmy had been pregnant, for that matter. Daveed and Emmy didn't go to the extremes of locking her in the house, but they were careful to not post her on social medias or take her where they knew there'd be paparazzi.

That all was trickier now that Ella had turned 5. She was a smart little girl with all the questions, and she wanted to go everywhere with her parents. Daveed and Emmy wanted her to be with them all the time as well, but they weren't sure how to navigate this.

Today, however, was the premiere of the new Little Mermaid, so they decided that there wouldn't be a better time to rip off the bandaid. Ella had seen the first movie already, and was so excited that her daddy was in this one. She had told all their friend's kids the news before the announcement even came out.

Emmy was currently making breakfast for the big day. All three of them were excited for different reasons. Daveed for being able to have his whole family there, Ella for the movie itself, and Emmy because today marked how far they'd come as both a couple and a family.

Daveed entered the kitchen and sat on a barstool. She hadn't seen him come in so he just watched her for a minute.

It wasn't until she put a pot of oatmeal on the stove that she turned around.

"God, you scared me," Emmy jumped with her oven mitts still on.

"Sorry babe," Daveed responded, "It smells good in here."

Emmy grinned and walked over to him. She stood behind him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"You smell good too," Emmy murmured. She kissed his cheek before backing away.

"Wait," Daveed said before she could leave. He hooked his arm around her waist and brought her down to kiss him. The kiss lingered and both of them got lost in one another. Daveed rose off the stool still kissing her.

Emmy's back was against the island when the sound of tiny footsteps broke them apart. Ella, Luna, and Moose raced into the kitchen all at once. Ella's sweet giggle flooded the room, interrupting the heavy breathing.

"Is it time for mermaids?" The little girl exclaimed hopefully.

"Not quite," Daveed said, picking her up mid run. He threw her into the air a couple times which granted him more giggles.

Emmy watched the two of them play before a lightbulb went off in her head. "Shoot," she said before racing to the stove.

"What?" Daveed turned as he caught Ella once more.

Emmy held up the pot of burnt oats with an oven mitt. "Forgot about the oats," she said as she held back a laugh.

"I... can't say I'm mad at that," Daveed said with a smirk, "What do you say we go get coffee?" He asked his daughter.