new addition

Daveed and Emmy were using today to unpack the rest of their boxes and really settle into their new home. They had moved into together about a week ago, but stacks of cardboard boxes still lined the halls of their white modern farmhouse.

Emmy was lugging boxes up and down the stairs, working very hard to get everything done as soon as possible. Daveed was pushing some boxes around, he had maybe unpacked 2 of them, his mind occupied with something else.

"Hey lazy, those aren't gonna unpack themselves," she raised her eyebrows but laughed.

"We don't have to go fast, you know, we do have forever to do it," he replied, picking up a box labeled KITCHEN.

"And you know if we don't finish this weekend it's never gonna get done," she looked at him with knowing eyes.

Daveed started unpacking some silverware and plates, trying to think of how he could sneak away to execute his plan.

"Hey Em, i'm kinda hungry, how about you?" he called to her from across the house.

She appeared in the kitchen, using the hall that cut from the front office to where Daveed was. "Umm yeah I could eat. We don't have any food tho," she said, squatting on a barstool.

"Yeah i was thinking about ordering something. Chinese?"

"I'm down with that," she smiled, sitting down for the first time all morning.

Daveed called the restaurant near them and ordered the food. He knew this particular place was busier than most so he would have more time to do what he needed to do.

He said goodbye to his girlfriend and wrapped her in a hug before leaving the house. "Don't hurt yourself while i'm gone," he said, kissing her forehead.

"I won't," she said, standing up to meet his height and kiss him on the lips.

Daveed grabbed his keys and headed out to his car. He had an errand to run before he picked up their food.

A couple days ago, when he first got the idea, Daveed had took a trip to the Los Angeles animal shelter. The shelter was full of pets who barked and climbed the gates begging for his attention. He had walked all around the shelter until he saw this little, no more than a few months old, brown labradoodle who was the sweetest dog there. He knew that was the dog for them, but at the moment, he couldn't bring him home just yet.

Today, however, he would be going to pick up the newest addition to their family. Emmy didn't know anything about it and it was killing him to keep the secret. Emmy loved dogs and had had her french bulldog, Luna, ever since she was in college. Daveed loved Luna like his own but she wasn't their dog. Having a dog together would be so much different and he thought now would be the perfect time with them freshly moved in together.

He pulled up to the shelter and went inside. He had called the shelter already to make sure no one else adopted their dog. When he walked in the little puppy was waiting for him, excitedly moving around because he remembered Daveed's face.

"Hi little guy," Daveed spoke to him in his dog voice, "Aren't you such a good boy?" they had opened to gates and Daveed was petting the puppy's belly.

The employee had gathered the paperwork for Daveed and explained the few signatures he had to complete for the dog to be his. Daveed complied and moments later he was walking out of the shelter with a 6 month old labradoodle he had affectionally named, Moose.

Daveed put Moose in the dog seat he had purchased and turned the car on. All he had to do now was actually pick up their food and he would be on his way home.

Daveed could already tell Moose was a great dog. He was happy and fun but also chill and loved laying down for belly rubs. He had this gentle giant energy that Daveed had picked up on from the little time he had him.

Daveed pulled into their garage and took the food out first, running it inside. Emmy greeted him from her spot at the counter. She was sitting down again and drinking water from a mason jar.

"Hold on one sec, I left something in the car," he spoke. He went back outside to see Moose patiently waiting. He put his leash on and walked him inside.

"He-," Emmy started, immediately stunned at what he just walked in with,"Is that- a- what-!" she spit out, completely suprised.

"This is Moose," he said, taking the leash off and picking up the puppy.

"You got a dog?!!?!" she said, walking over to him.

"We got a dog," he replied, "Come pet him, he loves it,"

"Hi Moose," she cooed, reaching out to pet him, "You're so cute, aren't you just the cutest thing ever, yes you are, yes you are," Emmy was already bonding with the dog, Moose responding to all her touches. Moose jumped out of Daveed arms into Emmy, "Oof, hey little guy," she spoke catching him in her arms.

Daveed smiled at the sight of Moose laying on Emmy's chest. Everything was going perfectly, the two of them loved each other already.

Daveed suddenly remembered their food and put it on plates for both of them. Emmy was still holding Moose and he guided them to the couch so they could eat. Emmy sat down first, Moose not moving from his spot on her chest. Daveed sat down next to her, cuddling with the two of them.

They turned on the tv and ate their food, completely happy and content with the puppy who was playfully stealing their leftovers. Moose brought both of them so much joy already, and he was the perfect addition to start their life of living together. Luna had joined the three of them on the couch, and as Daveed looked over his family of four, he couldn't help but smile at the fact that this was what he had always wanted. The love of his life was curled up under him with 2 dogs that were practically his children. He couldn't be happier, and as he pulled Emmy closer, he was more than excited about this new chapter of their lives.