midnight scares

tw/ seizure

Emmy woke up startled to the sound of a loud bang coming from outside their bedroom door. She got out of bed and walked outside to see what it could've been. Her first instinct was to peek into her daughter's room, her heart fully skipping a beat as she flicked the light on.

Her 2 year old daughter was on the ground seizing, her entire body shaking uncontrollably. Emmy sprinted to her side, "DAVEED," she yelled as loud as she possibly could.

She could hear him nearly fall out of the bed and his footsteps as he ran down the hallway. "What's going on?" he called, pushing the door open, "MONROE, what- what happened," he yelled frantically rushing to her side.

"I- I don't know. I just came in and she was, she was seizing," Emmy said, lightly putting her hand on her head to keep her from hitting the dresser. "She's burning up we need to get to the hospital," she said as tears ran down her face.

Monroe was coming down from the seizure but was still shaking as Daveed picked her up and ran down the stairs to their car. Emmy followed and climbed in the back seat with their daughter.

Monroe had been sick for the past week but it was only a fever. Daveed broke every speeding limit on the way to the hospital and Emmy held on to her daughter for dear life, both parents' minds terrified and eyes watery.

5 minutes into the drive Monroe had waken up and began gasping for air. "Daveed, Daveed I- i don't think she's breathing, what, what do i do?" Emmy said, even more panic washing over her.

"I- i don't know, umm, we're almost there," he said. His heart was hurting at the fact that he had no idea what to do for his daughter.

Monroe started to cough even louder and before Emmy could react, she had thrown up all over her.

"It's ok babygirl, we're gonna get some help soon, you're gonna be ok," Emmy spoke, more to herself than her daughter. It seemed as if Monroe had cleared her airway when Daveed swung into the emergency bay.

Daveed picked Monroe up bridal style and ran inside to the first doctor he could find. "Doc, doc you gotta help me. It's- it's my daughter," he said through his tears.

"Ok, ok lay her down on this gurney. What's going on?" the doctor responded.

"She's been sick with a mild fever but tonight she had a seizure. She's burning up, she threw up all over the car, and she's having trouble breathing," Daveed trembled.

"Alright, we're gonna take her back to run some tests. Nurse Pam is gonna sign y'all in. We'll do everything we can sir, you have my word," the doctor spoke, rushing Monroe back with some other doctors who had gathered.

Daveed and Emmy were a wreck but they managed to get through all of the nurses questions and sign in.

They were sitting in the waiting room for what felt like hours. It was 3am and they were both exhausted and worried to death. Neither one could stop sobbing, their brains racking with the worst possible scenarios.

It was Daveed who wrapped his arm around Emmy first, but it didn't take long for both of them to open their arms and cling to each other. They pressed their foreheads to each other and just waited and prayed that their first born would make it through the night.

About two hours after they arrived, the doctor returned to the waiting room. Daveed and Emmy were still holding each other, but the doctors footsteps toward them caused them to immediately look up.

"Mr and Mrs Diggs?" he asked to get their attention.

"Yes doctor," Emmy asked.

"We ran several tests and we concluded that your daughter, Monroe Diggs, suffered a bacterial infection that caused the fevers, seizure, and blocking of her airway. We're gonna start her on antibiotics, and we expect her to make a full recovery, her age protecting her from any neural deficits from the seizure," he replied.

Emmy leaped up and hugged the doctor, followed by Daveed. "Thank you, thank you so much," she said.

The three of them walked through the cold walls of the emergency room until they reached the room Monroe was resting in. The doctor informed them that they would have to stay for 2 days for observation, but they didn't mind.

The parents rushed to their daughters side, being gentle with their hugs as she was still asleep.

"She'll probably be very confused when she wakes up, so ease her into everything," the doctor said before giving them some time alone.

"Hey babygirl," Emmy said, stroking her long dark curls,"I told you everything would be alright."

Daveed and Emmy climbed on the sides of their daughter's bed and admired her sleeping form. They were so grateful the diagnosis wasn't any worse. They held their daughter until she slowly opened her eyes. Both of them peppered her face with kisses, the feeling of seeing her alive bringing them so much joy after the scariest night of their lives.