trial run

"Let me out, let me out!" Lucille kicked the back of the drivers seat from her car seat that she had taken the liberty of unbuckling.

She was intensely restless after a long, traffic-laden drive from her parents house to Daveed and Emmy's. The goal was to give Leslie and Nicolette a night off, but neither one of them had factored in L.A traffic with a 4 year old. It was about halfway when the kicking started and now that she could see the house she just wanted to jump out.

Emmy unbuckled and ran to the other side to open the child-proof door before she could get more upset. "C'mon Lucie, we're finally here," she told her. Lucille quickly jumped into Emmy's arms to be guided down so she could run towards the front door. Emmy chased behind her while Daveed stayed back with Able, parking and getting their bags out.

Moose greeted them with deep barks the minute they opened the black-painted door. Emmy bent down to Lucille and Moose's level. "Lucille, this is Moose. Moose this is Lucille," she introduced them. Lucille's tiny eyes with wide and her lips began to quiver. This went unnoticed by Emmy because the next thing that could be heard was her named being called from outside.

"I gotta go help your Uncle Daveed, stay with Moose, ok?" Emmy kneeled to talk to Lucille before dashing out the door.

Outside Daveed was juggling far too much. He had the baby carrier full with Able looped on one arm, and both children's bags in the other. Emmy quickly made her way to his side, "Babe, let me help you."

She took the two baby bags while he followed behind her. Her feet stepped through the door frame where she had just left the little girl moments before. She crossed the room with her eyes and Lucille was no where to be found.

Emmy dropped both bags in the front of the door. "Lucille," she called loudly, "Lucille," she said again, with no answer.

Daveed bumped into her from the back, "Oh, sorry, Em," he said before stepping back.

Emmy turned around with her face showing fear, "Daveed," she started, "Where's Lucille?" Moose still stood right where he had been. "I left her to come help you. I told her stay right here. It was 5 minutes, where could she have gone that fast?" she spoke in a shaky voice.

"Emmy, Emmy, calm down, we'll find her," Daveed assured, putting his hand on her shoulder. He moved deeper into the living room to put the large carrier down. "Lucille," he called, his voice echoing throughout the house.

Daveed and Emmy's eyes connected with shared looks of confusion. "How can such little legs get away that fast?" Emmy asked.

Daveed shrugged, "I got no idea. How about you check over by the office and I'll do outside and the kitchen?"

"Ok," Emmy nodded, and started over to the other side of the house. Before she could even make it out of the living room, Able started to wail from his carrier. She turned around and started to go get him.

"I can get him," Daveed said, already closer to the baby. He leaned down and picked the 3-month old infant up from the seat. Daveed placed the little boy on his chest and started to move up and down rhythmically.

Emmy watched for a few seconds before remembering the task at hand. She thought for a moment before changing the plan, "What if you walk him around down here and look out for Lucie while I go look upstairs?"

"Good with me," Daveed said, still bouncing the baby and now making animated faces.

Emmy made her way around the corner and up the stairs thinking there's no way she could have gotten up here without making noise.

She checked in the monkey room. "Lucille," she called. Nothing. Her next stop was the blue guest room. She looked all around the room and called her name several times. Nothing. Lastly, she pushed through the slightly closed door of her and Daveed's room. She stepped inside, "Lucille," she called. She looked by their bed and in the bathroom. On the way outside of the bathroom she looked closely around the chairs and bookshelves.

Through the bottom of one of the chairs, she could see something peeking out. She started to cross the room. She looked behind the chair, and in between the chair and the corner of the bookshelf, the little girl sat with her knees pulled up to her chest.

"Lucille!" Emmy exclaimed and immediately bent down into the corner. Now at her level, she could see the dried up tears and the knees that still carried a tremble. "Lucie, what's wrong?" she asked sympathetically.

"The dog," Lucille said softly, her lips beginning to quiver as she spoke, "It's scary," she added, "I want Mommy."

Emmy's heart broke seeing her cry. "Honey, come here," she reached out her arms. Lucille moved forward reluctantly and Emmy pulled her close. "It's ok, sweet girl, I got you. I promise I won't let Moose hurt you."

Lucille's tears still fell softly. "Do you want to go downstairs with your brother and Uncle?" Emmy asked. Lucille rubbed her arm across her face and nodded. Emmy picked her up, situating her on her hip. Lucille immediately clung to Emmy, wrapping her arms tight around her neck. Emmy carried her protectively out of the room and down the steps.

"I got her," Emmy called out to Daveed who now held Able in his lap on the couch. Emmy walked with Lucille over to the living room where the dogs beds resided. She could feel Lucille tensing up the second she noticed the labradoodle laying atop the bed. "Lucie, Moose is a good boy, I promise. Do you want to see how sweet he is?"

She gave a barely-there nod. Emmy walked over to the dog beg and kneeled, putting Lucille down right next to her. Emmy grabbed a treat out of a nearby container and held it up. "Moose," she called to get his attention, "Moose, can you shake my hand?"

The dog held up his paw and Emmy gave it a shake. She dropped the treat into his mouth and gave him a back rub which made for some very happy jitters from the dog. Lucille broke a smile when Moose got his back rub turned into a belly one. Emmy giggled at her smile and kept playing with the dog. "Lucie, you wanna try?"

She nodded a yes and Emmy grabbed another treat from the container. Emmy handed it off to Lucille to hover over the dog. "Moose, shake my hand," she said while holding out her palm.

Moose completed the shake and Lucille began to excited. She reached out to give him the treat and he ate it off her hand. Lucille erupted in giggles and happiness took over her face.

"Was that fun?" Emmy asked, smiling widely.

"Yes, yes, yes," she replied while jumping excitedly.

"Getting to know Moose man over there, Lucie?" Daveed asked from the couch, "Secret to his heart is treats so he probably already loves you. Wanna come watch some Paw Patrol with us?"

Lucille leaped at the offer, "Paw Patrol!" she exclaimed, running to the couch without dropping her smile.

Emmy followed behind her and sat down on the couch, effectively making a sandwich with her, Able, and Daveed.

It was just nearly a full episode before both babies were asleep, Able having long been asleep from Daveed's rocks. As Lucille sunk into sleep, Emmy leaned her head over the little girl and rested it on Daveed's shoulder.

"I'm already worn out," she sighed through a laugh.

"Me too," Daveed nodded, "Mad props to Les and Nicolette cause..."

"Tell me about it," Emmy shook her head.

"You look good with a baby on your hip," Daveed smirked. He turned his head to look down at her.

"You look good with a baby too," she winked up at him. She reached her hand over to tickle Able's belly.

Daveed smiled, "Make you want one?" he looked down at the infant and tickled him a little as well. He could get used to this.

A blush came over Emmy's face, "I mean... we make a good team," she shrugged through her grin.

"We do," Daveed chuckled, "I think we passed our trial run, and we didn't get it easy."

"That's for sure," Emmy laughed, looking at Lucille who was sound asleep, "They're cute when they're not madmen," she stroked the girls hair, "Lets have one."

Daveed looked over with wide eyes, "You serious?"

Emmy nodded, "Mhm." She leaned herself into a Daveed, pushing the four of them closer together, "Let's start our own family."

Pressing a kiss to her head, Daveed agreed, "Let's do it."