slowing down

"I can't believe you already have to leave again," Daveed said to Emmy who was laying across his lap on the couch.

"What if i just- didn't go?," Emmy said while laughing because she knew that wasn't an option.

"I wish," Daveed sighed, leaning down to kiss her.

Emmy had just got back from shooting a movie in Australia two days ago and she was leaving tomorrow to go to Toronto for The Umbrella Academy. She would be filming until spring and around that same time Daveed would fly to to Vancouver to shoot for Snowpiercer. They're current schedules will cause them to not see each other for nearly a year.

"I hate this," he groaned, "I just want to be with you I don't even care about all that other stuff."

"Don't say that Dav," she said, grabbing his hand and lacing their fingers together, "but I mean, I agree. I want to have kids while I still can, and I want to be at home with you to raise them."

"I know. I desperately want kids with you babe," he replied.

They had had several conversations about having children, both of them agreeing that they wanted at least two. The only problem was they're insane filming schedules that prevented them from being in the same place more than a month. Even if they were to get pregnant after they finished their respective shows, there was always a fear that they would be called for something else.

The pair sat in silence for a few moments before Emmy spoke up,"What if we take a year off?" She sat up in lap so she could gage his reaction.

"A year? What about our careers?" he replied.

"I mean, it doesn't have to be a complete year off, you could still release music with clipping, and we could both do local projects. And maybe we could do a couple travel projects but at least we'd have a year to build our family together," she said, sounding like she had been thinking about this for a while.

"Honestly... I love that idea. I've been thinking about slowing down for a while but I thought you would think I was crazy. I'm just so tired of the constant traveling. I hate having to micromanage every second we spend together because we don't know how long we'll have," he responded, wrapping his arm around her.

"So, that's it? We're doing this?" Emmy asked

"We're doing this," Daveed said kissing the side of her head.

Since the beginning of their relationship and even when they were just friends before, Daveed and Emmy had always been on the same wavelength. They agreed with each other 99% of the time and found themselves thinking the exact same things more often than not. Conversations came easy to them and it typically did not take them long to make decisions, no matter how big or small.

They had both wanted to be parents since forever, and while they were afraid that their careers could take a hit, the fear didn't top the desire to build a family together. Daveed would do anything for for a mini version of himself or his partner, and Emmy had been dreaming of being a mom since she was 9 years old. Family was much more important to them than an movie, tv show, or gig, and they didn't want to wait any longer than they had to to build theirs.

They decided to contact their teams to let them know as early as possible. The phone calls went decent, their agents beginning to understand after a few minutes of initial shock and yells.

While on the phone, they went ahead and brainstormed a plan for how the next few years would go to ensure that they would have a career to return to after their hiatus. The plans for both Daveed and Emmy were similar, Emmy would finish The Umbrella Academy and return home, then Daveed would do Snowpiercer and come home. They wouldn't take any new abroad projects unless it could be shot in under a month. Daveed would continue music but without shows, and they were both fine with taking projects around Los Angeles or with a small commute. Their limited schedule would last a year and then they could reevaluate after the year was over and/or their kid(s) were here.

Emmy thought it would be a good idea to keep this hiatus between them and their team. She didn't want to make a public announcement to fans or anything out of fear of being nagged or berated about their decision.

Both Daveed and Emmy were very happy with the plan they came up with, and the conclusion to still take smaller projects gave them a lot more ease of mind. Neither one had stopped smiling after their phone calls, excitement radiating from them at the thought of getting the family they always dreamed of. Emmy curled up next to Daveed's side and smiled up at him,"We're gonna be parents in a year."

"Parents. That feels good," he said, kissing the top of her head.

"I love you," she responded.

"Me too. So much," he replied using his arm to pull her closer.

They continued cuddling on the couch for a while, a state of bliss encompassing them. They were slowing down, preparing to start a family, and they could not be more content or joyous.

- very heavily inspired by daveed saying he was ready to slow down in the recent hollywood reporter interview🪐