extra thankful

Emmy tilted her head up in the human cocoon she was wrapped in only to see two more freshly awoken eyes staring back at her. The pairs of eyes caught one another and they exchanged soft smiles of the morning. Daveed pressed a kiss against her forehead, "Happy thanksgiving baby," he said groggily but sweetly all the same.

She curled herself into him more, wrapping her arms tighter as if trying to protect the warmth they'd created. And once she gotten as close as she could, she replied, "Happy thanksgiving, I love you."

"I love you so much," Daveed said as he nuzzled his head into her more. Supreme gratitude ran between them for each other and the life they shared together. Their parents would be there soon, but for now they were taking this moment for just the two of them. Taking this time to be alone with each other, and to hold each other in this time of thankfulness.

Eventually the two rose out of their bed, only a few more hours before both sets of parents and Daveed's brother would get there, early so they could help with the cooking and hang out before dinner.

Daveed and Emmy got dressed in casual clothes and shared a few quick kisses before they headed down the stairs. As if  they'd heard them wake up, Moose and Luna were waiting right at the bottom of the stairs for them.

"Hi babies," Emmy bent down slowly to play with their puppies. She didn't stay down long and the four of them moved their way into the kitchen.

This was the first Thanksgiving they'd have in the newly renovated kitchen, and the first thanksgiving with everyone together in 2 years. So much of today was already turning out to be so much more special.

Thanks to Emmy's organization the day before, they had the materials and ingredients clustered together. All they had to do now was make them up. They were going pretty all out; the special day required it and they planned to make a turkey, a vegetarian turkey, macaroni and cheese, green beans, sweet potatoes, rolls, 2 types of pie, and even a cake.

The first doorbell was rung by Barbara, Daveed's mom, who had brought along Dountes and Malcolm, his brother and dad, respectively. "Hi guys," she exclaimed happily, pulling Daveed and Emmy into a group hug. It had been way too long since all 5 of them had been together, they had so much time to make up for.

Daveed clapped his dad and brother on the back and just when they had finished their greetings with Daveed's side, Emmy parents joined the party as they walked up to the doorstep. Sharon and Greg hugged their daughter first then moved around to the other 4 people huddled together.

Everyone wore a smile as their cluster shifted into the kitchen/ living room area. They dispersed slowly through the house, Malcolm stopping off to play with Moose and Luna, Emmy talking with the moms about prepping dinner, and Daveed and Dountes halflistening.

They started to cook, getting all hands on deck in the collaborative effort. The biggest job was the turkey so they started off with that and then trickled down to the other dishes. Endless conversations took place as they chopped, seasoned, and baked- turns out there's a lot of talking material in 2 years.

Emmy started to grab the board the giant turkey was sitting on to place it in the oven. Yet before she could wrap her fingers under the sides, Daveed caught sight out of the corner of his eyes. He quickly moved over to the her side of the countertop, "Babe, can I help?" he asked quietly.

Emmy nodded and they lifted the turkey and placed it in the oven together. "Y'all really do do everything together," Malcolm joked. The whole room giggled and got back to cooking. After all the various dishes were about halfway done, Emmy stepped away from the kitchen to start setting the table. She grabbed all the plates, bowls, 7 glasses, and 6 wine glasses. She set them all up while the rest of the family continued cooking and the final hours felt like minutes as it was finally time to gather around the table they only used for occasions like these.