helping hand

~requested by dance10addison

Emmy stepped out of bed and lazily walked to the bathroom. It was a slow walk across the room on what felt like the millionth day that she wouldn't be able to leave the house. For the most part, however, she still tried to get up and get dressed to mimic some part of normalcy during these quarantimes.

Once she reached the bathroom, she picked up her phone that was charging next to her partners. The time flashed when she lifted it. 11:45am. This had become her normal. She had all day to do things, so why not start the day a little later?

Her partner, Daveed, was still sleeping. She figured he'd probably be up within the next 30 minutes.

Emmy set her phone back down next to his and looked up in the mirror. That was another thing about the current state of the world: Salons were closed. She had actually been going to barber shops since all she really needed was a shave, but those were closed too.

She ran her hands along the short sides of her head. It had been so long since she had been able to get it cut that the lines between her mohawk and the sides that were supposed to be shaved were blending together. She had little darks curls sprouting from the once clean shaven edges.

Emmy had been noticing this growth for the past few weeks but she was holding out to see if shops would open up soon. That hope was dwindling with every passing day and new news story. She needed to figure something out, that is, unless she wanted to grow her hair out again.

She turned in a 360 in the mirror just to see it one more time. I'll... deal with you later, she thought to herself, personifying her own hair.

She opted to take a shower first, washing her hair as well. The water was so soothing, and this was one of the few things she loved about having nothing to do. She had the freedom to take 30 minute showers and she was soaking up every minute of it.

She stepped out of the shower and reached for the nearest towel. She wrapped one around herself and one around her hair. Emmy kept the towel in her hair to dry while she moved to their shared closet. She grabbed one of Daveed's oversized t-shirts and a pair of leggings, figuring the hair could get messy.

Emmy moved back into the bathroom and sat in front of her vanity. Over the past few days, she had watched a few hair cutting videos just in case she got the courage to do it herself. What could go wrong, another thought she let out to herself even though she was still a little afraid.

From all the videos, she found out that all she really needed was a razor, some hair scissors, and either a brush or comb. She already had a brush and she acquired a razor and clippers courtesy of Daveed's side of the bathroom.

Emmy let down the towel and her hair was completely dried. "Here goes nothing," she mumbled.

She pulled up the hair on top into a ponytail so that it would be out of the way. She plugged in the razor and her hands shook as she picked up the tool.

She guessed the noise woke up Daveed because when she looked up into the mirror he was standing in the doorway.

"Hey, babe," he smiled at her, wiping the sleep from his eyes,"Whatcha doing?" he walked over to where she was sitting and wrapped his arms around her from the back.

"Cutting my hair" she said with a giggle.

"All of it?" he asked, his face slightly shocked.