mario kart

2020

Emmy skipped over to the couch, switch in hand, to join her partner who was already sprawled out. This Nintendo switch she intended to hook up to the living room tv was new, a quarantine impulse buy, but both of them were quite excited to put it to work.

"Got the goods," she exclaimed with a smile.

Daveed looked up at her and matched the smile. He examined the box and all the cool things it claimed to do. She handed it to him to give a closer look. "This thing is dope. They keep making them better and better."

Emmy nodded in agreement and opened the box. The only game they had so far was Mario Kart but it was more than good enough to quell their competitive spirits. And as the direction reader of the relationship, she pulled out the tiny slips of papers while Daveed began to dig in to the pieces.

After connecting the final HDMI cord, Emmy sat back down and nuzzled slightly into Daveed's side. She held one controller while he held the other. A START button was pressed and the game began, the two of them, now Princess Peach and Yoshi, raced up and down the animated obstacles.

The first round was narrowly won by Daveed, a fact Emmy knew he would be harping on for days. She immediately called for a rematch, not wanting to give him that satisfaction.

"What can I say, I'm just that good," he shrugged jokingly.

"Yeah right," Emmy playfully hit his side.

"You remember the first time we ever played this thing... like years ago?" he recalled, "You were alll over me," he added a giggle, "We barely played one round I think."

"I was not!" Emmy shook her head quickly, "I believe that was you being the distraction."

"Mhm," he said, holding in a laugh, "I have a very good memory."

"You're distracting us now," she said with a smirk, "Now come on so I can kick your butt."

2016

Sitting on the couch of Emmy's apartment were the two best friends' favorite way to unwind after a two show day. It was quiet, easy to get to from the theater, and as a bonus, she had a Nintendo switch. At this point it was their routine to get together for frozen peas, hot tea, and Mario Kart tournaments every time their job rendered them useless for anything else.

"May I offer you some 'Organic Sweet Peas'?" Daveed said with a giggle, coming behind the couch Emmy was setting up the switch on.

"Why thank you," she laughed as she accepted the package of peas.

"I still don't know why you get such high quality ones." Daveed shook his head as he fell onto the couch, "These ain't going nowhere but here," he said as he pointed to his knee.

"Sometimes I cook them," Emmy shrugged. She handed him a controller and then situated herself. Game controller, check, peas on shoulder, check, lemon and honey tea for her voice, check. "You ready?"

Daveed was still squirming to get comfortable but he nodded his head anyways. The two of them started the game, immediately getting fully into it and becoming one with their characters. They played round after round until they both had an equal number of wins and losses.

"Winner takes all?" Daveed prompted after about 6 rounds. Emmy had sunken slightly into the couch after their last round around the track and he looked down at her awaiting an answer.

"I think that since you definitely cheated on that one round... I should just go ahead and take all." she said with a grin.

Daveed reached to pat her opposite shoulder sarcastically, "Yeah, yeah," he smirked. He thought about moving his arm but something about it being there felt so natural. She didn't say anything nor make any movements other than to adjust herself upright, which only happened to bring them closer. This single arm felt huge to his timid brain, but today something inside him felt even bigger.

"Ok let's do this," Emmy began, "Whoever loses has to get up and put all this stuff away," she motioned to their melting peas and cold teas. She had also leaned more into his side, and he wasn't completely sure if she had even noticed.

"Those are some low stakes," Daveed said, choosing to ignore the changes in their usual routine. 

"Yeah but I'm comfortable now. I don't want to get up," she shrugged.

Interestingly enough, neither did Daveed. He liked having her right up next to him and his brain was saying things it had never put into words before. All sorts of things, making it feel not unnatural to lean down and press a kiss to her forehead.

Emmy took a second to let him pull away and process the slight shock before she looked back up at him with a soft smile. She sat up to reach him before kissing him once on the lips. She was stunned at herself the moment she pulled away, stunned at the emotions running wild in her head. They kissed again, both of them leaning in at the same time, their lips merging together until they were left gasping for breath.

With both hearts racing, the two of them moved back into seated positions. Now it was no secret that they somewhat carried feelings for one another even if it had been an unknown one 10 minutes prior.

Emmy giggled and he followed with a slight one, neither of them able to stay serious for too long. "So... wanna start the game?" she asked through her grins.

"I don't see why not," he said in response.

2020

Daveed and Emmy laid almost passed out on their couch after only 4 games, their days of spending all night racing one another seemingly in the past. Emmy leaned her head on his chest and turned to wrap her arms around his torso before falling asleep. Rubbing his hand across the back of her head to soothe her in sleep, Daveed added a single kiss on her temple, "Goodnight baby," he said before tilted his head and falling asleep himself.