baby fever

Emmy fingers were growing numb as she scrolled through the endless new baby tags, new mom accounts, and every baby picture she could find on her phone. It seemed as if everyone in the world was having a baby except her. So many little onesies with little faces poking out of them and she was so jealous.

Emmy desperately wished she was a part of the seemingly millions of moms giving birth right at this moment. She wanted a baby of her own so, so badly and the need was all consuming. She hadn't moved from the spot on the couch of her Toronto apartment for hours, every time she tried to force herself up, she found a new mom and newborn to obsessively stalk.

And it wasn't just today, for months, the thoughts of having her own little baby itched at the back of her brain. Everyday that passed it seemed that itch tended to grow, now a full on scratch that made her want to rip at her skin.

Having a baby was the least realistic thing right now, her partner was on the opposite end of the country, but that didn't quell any of the desire to have one.

Her mind began to fantasize a play by play of this nonexistent baby's life: their first day of school, sporting events, their graduation, and even giving them off at their wedding. She was getting way ahead of herself, she knew that, but she couldn't help it. She wanted to be a mom and experience all these things with her baby.

Emmy landed on an instagram reel of a woman finding out she was pregnant and then telling her husband. The video was so sweet and nearly brought tears to her eyes. She felt like she couldn't wait any longer to be pregnant.

Emmy dialed Daveed's number, not even stopping to think if he was on set or not. Thankfully, he picked up after a few rings and answered with a "Hello."

"Hey, I want a baby," she started off bluntly.

"Ooo... kay..?" Daveed asked, skepticism obvious in his voice.

"Daveed, I'm serious," Emmy replied with an eye roll that he couldn't see.

"A stork gonna bring you this baby?," Daveed asked jokingly.

"Stop," she said even though she was quietly laughing to herself, "I'm not kidding I really want a baby."

"I mean, so do I, but.. we're literally having to talk to each other through the phone right now, how do-"

"Ugh, don't remind me. Its just... everybody.. I mean, every single person in the world is either pregnant or having a baby. Everyone except me, and I want a baby sooooo bad, Daveed."

"I know, Em, and I wish I could do something, it just... not possible," Daveed replied.

"I want to be pregnant, I want to be a mom, I want a mini you, or me. This isn't fair, I hate this," Emmy replied, her anger directed at no one person.

"I want a mini you too, I mean, everytime I think of us back at home, I see a little one running around too," Daveed said, as that same image of little kids running through their home graced his mind.

"When we do get home... promise me we can try to have a baby?" Emmy pleaded.

"I want nothing more." Daveed replied.

"Ok, Love you," said Emmy, getting ready to end the call.

"Love you too," Daveed said with a smile she couldn't see, "Just a few more months."

"Just a few more months," Emmy echoed as they both ended the call.