|| birthday. trippin. ||

Warm was the first word that came to mind as Emmy rose out of the bed. It wasn't the temperature she was thinking of, as she was actually quite cold from the empty spot her partner left and the covers he had stolen. But it was more of the feeling, like when you wake up after a really good dream or when you were six and your Mom made you cinnamon rolls to eat while you opened your Christmas presents. Maybe it was because she did have a really good dream, and she wasn't six, but she was a year older. It also helped that the window next to her bed was a picture perfect view of Venice, Italy.

She slid her feet into a pair of slippers and headed out of the bedroom, wrapping a robe around herself as she went. Their Italian flat was small and cozy, yet it had a kitchen that sweet aromas were drifting out of.

Emmy figured she knew where he was, but she checked anyway, "Daveed?" She asked just as she hit the kitchens entryway.

There he was in the galley-style room, seemingly plating assorted pastries on a vintage dish. He looked up for a brief moment, and without even having to think about it, his feet walked towards her and his arms drew her near.

"Emmy," he spoke softly, excited that she was finally awake, "Happy Birthday babe." He kissed her once, and then again for good measure.

Emmy cheeks shined red from all the affection. "Thank you," she responded before asking the question she couldn't resist,"Are those for me?"

It was a plate full of way too many pastries for two people. Chocolate croissants, regular croissants, danishes, rolls, and all the likes draped the forest green plate. The bakery's box sat near the sink behind them.

"Yes they are," Daveed said as he held them up for her to take her pick.

The chocolate croissant was something of a no-brainer, and its flakes grew mouthwatering the second she took a bite. "You're spoiling me," she said in admiration of all the fresh baked goods, "When did you even have time to get these?"

"Don't worry about it," he said with a wink, "And I'm going to be spoiling you all day so prepare yourself."

Her birthday fell on the first full day of their trip, so naturally, Daveed had to pull out all the stops. She had been wanting for just the two of them to take this trip for a while now, but things always popped up to get in their way. This last month had been their first time spent together in over 8 months, and while they had done long distance before, it was even harder coming off a year of spending every single day together. This was her birthday trip, but it was also a celebration of being able to be together again, and Daveed wanted to do all he could to make it special.

With that, he took her hand and pulled her off towards their room. "What are we doing now?" she asked with the half-eaten croissant still in hand.

"Did you bring any clothes for cool weather?" he asked in response.

"No," Emmy's brows furrowed, "It's 70 degrees in September?"

A smirk found it's way on Daveed's face, "Good news for you is that I packed you a sweater."

"So you're just not going to tell me why I need a sweater?" Emmy tried to coax it out of him.

"You'll see in an hour. Relax babygirl," he said with another smirk and a kiss to her forehead.

Hand in hand, the two of them walked out of the building after the hour had passed. Emmy wore the grey cardigan that Daveed had snuck past her while packing, and he wore a sweatshirt with his jeans. He still hadn't told her where he was taking her, but he knew the surprise would be worth it.

They stepped out of the Uber to a sky full of rainbow parachutes that hung over baskets. "You're kidding," Emmy's mouth flew open as she realized the reason for the sweater.