Wherever you are

Nostalgia floated through the crisp air of the quaint bar. The people felt the same, but different. The stacks of wine on the walls were lined just as she had remembered, the bottles were just a little older. Even the espresso martini she held in her hand, felt only a little more mature than the mixed drinks she had chosen in the past. Everything about this tradition was just ever so slightly more aged.

Emmy's partner has just left for the restroom, giving her just the right amount of time to reminisce. This night had become somewhat of an accidental tradition. What started as a Thanksgiving date night to escape family had become somewhere they would visit every Thanksgiving to share the night together and remember how grateful they were for one another.

Over the years, they had made so many memories at these barstools. Emmy could remember the year she'd ordered a water over her usual drink and ended up telling Daveed that his daughter would be arriving soon. There had been other celebrations here too: birthdays, gatherings with friends, and the occasional Tuesday when both of them needed to get away.

Daveed was walking back to her now, bursting the bubble of nostalgia and bringing her back to the here and now. He held a smile as he sat directly across from her. His whiskey sour had been waiting for him, and he took a single sip before reaching to grab her hand.

"You won," he said with a smirk.

"Won what?" Emmy smirked over her drink as well, even though she already knew the reference.

"It hasn't been 10 minutes and I already miss Ella," he chuckled, "Look at what my mom just sent."

Daveed pulled out his phone and flipped it on to reveal a photo of their one year old dressed in her Thanksgiving outfit, and posing with their dog, Moose, who also had a Thanksgiving sweater.

"Oh my god," Emmy cooed, holding her hands up over her heart. She put her hand over his so she could zoom in on the photo. "This makes me wish I was telling you I was pregnant again."

The two of them were equally obsessed with their little girl, and in the year since she'd been earthside, it had been hard to get them out of the house. They had still managed to keep the tradition alive though, their parents always seemed to convince them to let them have some time with their grandbaby.

"We should call her," Daveed suggested, already ready to open FaceTime on his phone.

Emmy put her hand over his once more to stop him from hitting the buttons. They had made it an unofficial rule to keep this night to just them, but even more than that, there was something she had been kind of hiding from him.

Once Daveed dropped his phone, Emmy sat back on her barstool. She cracked her knuckles to stall, wondering the best way to bring this up. She knew this had the potential to change so much of their dynamic, and everything felt so good right now.

"What's up, Em?" Daveed inquired about her sudden silence.

"I wanted to talk to you before we called Ella," she said before pausing, "I, um, I got the job," she said hesitantly. It was a bittersweet feeling, and this showed through her delivery.

Before she could continue or open her mouth to say more, a waitress came up towards them. "Hey guys, can I get you anything to eat?" the 20-something waitress asked the pair.

Emmy could tell Daveed was deep in thought and likely with many questions for her, so she took the liberty to speak for both of them. "We'll just do a couple appetizers. Can we do the Mac & cheese bites and the Spicy chicken rolls?"

The waitress nodded and left them to continue their conversation.

The lines in Daveed's face curled in confusion, "What job?" he asked with a sip of his drink.