valentine's day

Daveed and Emmy had been together nearly 4 years so they were very used to Valentine's Day. In the past they had gone on trips and out to fancy dinners, but tonight they both agreed to keep it chill.

Emmy was in the kitchen packing the lasts of the fruits and sandwiches for their picnic. They were going to this secluded park to share a picnic and relaxing evening. She was closing the basket when Daveed walked down the steps. He was wearing a flannel with a t shirt underneath and some jeans. Emmy had gotten ready prior to packing the food and she was wearing a cropped tank with some loose pants and a jean jacket. It was evening so they figured it might be chilly but California never really got cold.

The grabbed a few blankets to sit on and cover up with and headed out the door. When they arrived at the park, they were blown away at how beautiful it looked in the shadows of the sun. The park was void of people besides them and was covered in lush grass. Wild flowers grew all over and combined with the glow of the sun, the landscape was straight out of a movie.

Daveed and Emmy found a spot tucked in the shadows of the sun and laid out their spread. They had packed sandwiches, various fruits, and some crackers. The weather was perfect and their relaxing evening was already off to a great start.

They finished their food but the conversation kept going. Emmy had laid her head on Daveed's lap and he was playing with her hair.

"Let's dance," she spoke up suddenly.

"Dance? With what music," he questioned, twisting his fingers through one of her curls.

"We can just turn something on on our phones," she said standing up and reaching for his arms to pull him up.

She turned on some slow music and they began swaying together in the park. It was as if they were the only two people in the world. Emmy laid her head and his shoulder and he rested his hand on her back as they rocked to the music.

Daveed had been planning something for a while unbeknownst to Emmy, and he thought now would be a perfect time for it. There was a little box in his pocket that he had been carrying around for weeks, waiting for when the moment was right. He pulled away from Emmy slightly and reached in his pocket. Before she could even react to him stopping their dance, he stepped back and kneeled down.

Emmy's hands immediately flew to her face when he began to speak, "Emily Ann Raver Lampman, I have never loved anyone as much as much as I love you. You're such a beautiful light and I can't imagine ever being with anyone else. I'm a better man because of you and you bring so, so much joy into my life. You're the love of my life Emmy and I want nothing more than to spend forever with you. Will you do me the honor and marry me?"

"Yes," she said through tears, "A million times, yes!" She said as he slid the ring on her finger. She pulled him up to a standing position and kissed him passionately, all their love moving through their embrace.

Emmy wrapped her arms around Daveed's neck and he used his arms around her back to pick her up and spin her around. The kept like this for awhile spinning and kissing in the empty park, overwhelmed with joy from their engagement.

They ended the night laying on each other on the picnic blanket. The sun was setting, warm blues cascading the sky, as they sat in a quiet bliss.

"I love you, fiancé," Emmy broke the silence.

Daveed moved from laying on his back to his side and used his hand to trace her face. "I love you too, fiancé, forever," He said as he rolled just enough to kiss her.

They stayed outside for hours into the night, leaving only when they could hear animals calling. They had lost track of time picturing the world they were on the cusps of creating. Daveed and Emmy would always remember this Valentine's day, the beginning of their forever.