100

the end of all the endings

The first time Claire spoke was after six months. It was a normal day. They had their routine. Harry would stay at home while Louis took Claire, Freddie and Hardin to school. On their way out of the door, Claire suddenly turned around and looked at Harry. "I love you, dad".
Harry had hugged her tightly, kissed her head and hadn't wanted to let go of her. As soon as they had been out the door, Harry had broke down crying. Louis had come back and they had stood in the kitchen, holding each other and crying.

The first time Hardin called Louis 'dad' was even later. It slipped out, not in a teasing way. "Could you pass me the beans dad?" He had blushed and given him the beans without Hardin realising what he'd just said at first. When he did, he apologized. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to-"
"You can call me Dad whenever the fuck that you want. Are we clear?"

The first time Harry got angry at one of the kids was Louis' fault. He hadn't tidied his bag away and Harry had fallen over it. He was angry but as soon as Hardin apologized - without blaming his father - Harry couldn't be mad.

The first time Louis got angry at one of the kids was different. Hardin had hit someone at school for talking badly about his famous parents. Louis had raised his voice until he found out the reason. He had hugged him immediately and they had driven out to apologize to the boy Hardin had hit. He stood his ground and was proud of his son when they left.

The first time the children joined them behind the scenes on a red carpet was at the Grammy's. Claire had wanted to join and wouldn't let go of the topic until they promised they would take all three of them with them. When Louis won his first Grammy for his third album 'safe haven', Claire had been the loudest one to cheer - followed by Freddie.

The last time Hardin had screamed at Louis was when paparazzi hadn't stopped following them. It had made the boy sick and Louis understood. They had hid in a little alley and walked home in the rain - coming home dripping wet but happy. Both of them had a cold the following days.

The last time Claire had slept in Harry and Louis' bed with them was when her nightmares stopped. She had cried and told them about her mother. She didn't remember anything but had cried about dreaming of something terrible. Harry had held her for hours until she finally slept. She had slept in their bed for weeks and neither Louis nor Harry would stop her. They cuddled and she fell asleep. Sometimes she would wake up crying but either Harry or Louis held her and talked to her until the dreams got less and less. She started sleeping in her own bed soon after.

The last time Harry had hurt himself had been in that shower years ago. Since then he hadn't even thought of doing that. He was happy and there was nothing that could change that.

The last time Louis had smoked had been sharing a cigarette with Zayn after the The Reunion tour. They had been best friends ever since. Zayn was the first one he would talk to if he needed someone to talk to - after Harry.

The last time they had seen Niall was with Amelia on their wedding three weeks ago.

The last time they had seen Liam had been yesterday evening. Behind his house, having barbecue with Liam, Maya, Bear and Luna, Zayn and Khai and the Tomlinson family.

Today they were laying in the bed beneath the stars, knowing that everything was perfect.

"Would you ever have thought that we'd turn out this way?" Louis asked, his head on Harry's chest.
"I never would've thought that" He admitted.
"It's been years. And I still can't believe that we're dads now. We're married. We have a life no one can take away, ever again"
"It's home. It's like- we were made to be like this. And every time I'm on stage, I think back about the time we met. About our story. No one would ever believe that something like that happens in this world. It's a book, not life"
"It's our life, love. It's always been a book somehow, hasn't it?" Harry smiled as his fingers ran through Louis' hair.
"I need to show you something" Louis smiled and sat up.
"What?" Harry furrowed his brows and looked at him curiously.
Louis took off his shirt. Harry chuckled and whistled.
"Idiot" Louis chuckled as well and looked at Harry.
"Your idiot"
"No" Louis shook his head and took Harry's right hand. He placed it right on his chest where his heart beat.
That was when Harry saw. There, right beneath his heart was a tattoo. A text.

»There are times when I feel like I'm adrift out at sea;
Where I'm floating upon life's troubled waters;
And then just in time you're there to rescue me,
Leaving me to wonder why you even bother,
But your constant love is like a beacon in plain sight;
That keeps me safe through life's many storms,
Ever present you shine your light both day & night,
Whenever my fears & doubts would consume & leave my soul all torn,
Your strength bridges over all empty space
Where I could possibly stray,
Then I'm no longer frozen in time, but dwell now in a secure place;
Because you have given me a Safe Haven, where I shall forever stay.« (poem by Jean Dament)
"You're my safe haven, Harry"

THE END