Chapter 55: I'll help

Start from the beginning

She didn't let go of my hand.

Our hands remained connected as she scanned each shelf of the isle, searching for 'the perfect gift' for my niece. Out of instinct, she looked over her shoulder and saw some people taking photos but neither of us chose to unlink our hands.

"Oh my god," She paused, "what if we get her one of those Umm— those things, what're they called?" She started making shapes with her free hand but I was still lost. "What if we get her a mini-motorcycle" I suggested with a smile only to be immediately shot down.

"Let's just go to the paint section and I'll order a few things online for her"

I nodded and she led the way, asking, "What'd you get her?"
"A mini-motorcycle"

She turned around almost immediately and stared at me with a very unamused face, which I rolled my eyes at, "I'll return it and get her something else then"

"So what's the paint for?"
"I was thinking we could do like some DIY photo booth signs or something, I don't know but we do need paint"

Just as she lifted up the lilac colored bottle, Teenage Dream by Katy Perry began playing over the speakers.

She turned to face me and we just exchanged smiles before she looked away shyly. She placed the selected paints inside of the cart and I couldn't help but grab her hand and turn her around to face me again.

Ariana's POV:

I stared up at Y/N confused, unsure of what was going on but then she grabbed me and began singing the lyrics lowly, "...You think I'm funny when I tell the punch line wrong"

"We're in Target, now is not the time—" She spun me around then pulled me back into her before continuing the song, "Let's go all the way tonight"

"Y/N we're not doing this right now"
"Ariana yes we are doing this right now"

"...will be young forever" She sang the lyrics obnoxiously loud and off beat. I pulled away from her and began pushing the cart the opposite direction while she continued her show.

Running in front of the cart to stop me, she sang or yelled rather, "You make me, feel like I'm livin' a teenage dream" She made sure to point to me as she did so. The other shoppers pushed their carts by quickly when they seen the sight.

She hopped onto the front of the cart with a smile, still singing as I struggled to push us to the checkout.

Her hand landed on her chest, gripping her shirt as she passionately sang, "My heart stops when you look at me, just one touch" I looked at her with wide eyes when she pointed at me and the other shoppers gave me a small smile.

"You're done, you're done"

-

"Never again are we going to Target together" I told Y/N as I stirred the black paint.
"Teenage Dream is a good song, you can't blame me for how I act when it comes on. It's Katy's fault" She said with a shrug, looking at me with a smile.

I rolled my eyes and laughed, "It is a good song, I'll admit"

"You remember prom when that song came on—"
"Courtney was so pissed that we were dancing together"

"Courtney could get beat up, honestly" She joked, leaning her back against the wall behind her while still facing me.
"That song and the dance in general confirmed my feelings for you if I'm being honest" She said after a moment of silence.

She picked up one of the wooden plates and began painting it, "They resurfaced after that one night in the bar"
"Oh my god— when I punched the dude who was hitting on you"

We both began laughing as we recalled the night.

"My night in shining armor Ms.Grande"

I looked up to meet her eyes, feeling my heart race and my knees get weak at the sight. When she threw in her smile everything came rushing back to the surface, the same way it did that night.

I had to break the eye contact with her before I did something stupid, again.

"I might've gotten paint on your sweatpants" Y/N pointed to the rather large black line that went across the lower left side of my grey sweatpants.

I flicked some turquoise paint at her, accidentally getting it on her face instead of her sweatpants which was the intended spot.

"No, Y/N it was an accident" I pleaded, watching her stand up with the bottle of paint in her hand and the brush in her other.
"Mine was an accident, yours was retaliation"

She flicked some lilac paint that got all over my face and partially on my hair.

"You son of a bitch"

When I stood up, the both of us laughed, realizing what was about to go down.

After things had dialed down between the two of us, we looked around at the mess we created. "We should probably clean up before Courtney kills us"

We both nodded and go to cleaning everything up but our faces. I was in the guest bathroom downstairs while Y/N finished up wiping the floor.

She stepped into the bathroom and leaned against the frame with her shoulder just staring at me. When we both realized that I was struggling to get a certain spot on my face, she offered to do it,"I'll help"

I handed her the now damp wash cloth that had bits of paint on it.

It grew silent as she concentrated on the lilac paint spread across my cheek.

I spoke quietly, "I've missed this"
"Me wiping paint off of you? This is a first"

We both chuckled before I corrected her, "I meant us laughing and having fun together"

She nodded silently while continuing to wipe my cheek with the cloth. I could feel her thumb swipe the final bit of paint, "There" she whispered, holding eye contact with me as she lowered the cloth, tossing it onto the counter.

I felt myself slowly leaning into her, unsure of what she thought about this until her hands fell to my waist, pulling me in.

"I want you"