Chapter 66: the overworld

Start from the beginning

Without a word my mother jumped out of the gap in the wall and down to the grass before picking herself up effortlessly and looking up at me and my father. My dad looked back at me and so with a sigh I jumped down. Obviously I wasn’t as elegant as my mother and landed in an awkward roll, getting my clothes covered in dirt and grass.

When I stumbled up to my feet and saw my father trying to carefully get down with my sister in his arms. I looked down at some of the scraped off skin but ignored it knowing that it would heal in a day or so. After a few moments my dad was standing beside us and had put Drista down with her standing beside him.

It was somehow day here, and took my eyes a few moments to properly adjust to the light. I had read about the sun lighting up the overworld in a similar way to how the lava pits illuminated parts of the crust but it was weird being above you rather than below. Not that demons needed either since our eyes glowed in the dark for anyone who was an adult. I know, it’s so fucking unfair that demons have a whole range of abilitiss and their bodies don’t even develop well enough until your an adult.

Fast forward an hour and we were in a human town and they were everywhere. Humans were running around, screaming, and even some shooting at us with weapons that they called guns, which just so happened to be ineffective against us.

This entire place was a buzz, and although I have heard about the overworld and seen some pictures this was a lot different than I had pictured. Being honest I could get used to the overworld, it was brighter than the crust and a lot more beautiful.

My father caught me looking around, even while the chaos raged around us. “What do you think of it, Dream?” he asked me in demonease.
I shrugged, before responding in the same language. “It looks nice.” I admitted, “but there are too many fucking humans.”

I glared at the area with my eyes flaring up to a brighter colour as I watched a pair of girls running down the road. Their eyes widened as they saw me staring and they attempted to speed up. The only thing that brought my attention back was my mother yelling at me for swearing again.

She continued to give me a death glare and only looked away when my dad pushed something down in front of us. We turned back to see a small brunette human who was definitely younger than me staring up at us. My father had clearly knocked him over and something that he had been riding on, a board with wheels, was laying beside him.

It was weird seeing a human, they looked strangely like us but were smaller. He looked about a year or so younger than me but was the height that I was when I was 6 or 7. His eyes weren’t glowing, instead staying a dark brown that stared into my soul. What surprised me the most was his pale skin which made him look like he was made of glass.

The boy looked scared, and my father growled out in demonease, “should we kill him?” he asked and my mother turned to glare at him.
“He is a child,” she hissed in response, before glancing back at me and Drista and sighing. “Fine… but-uh don’t make it painful.” my mother stated, seemingly as a small mercy for the child.

I didn’t know whether I should want a kid dead or not, even if it was a human, but I didn’t make a move to tell him to stop. My fathers claws extended and he let out a low growl before a bullet whizzed right by my face, causing me to grab Drista and step back out of the bullet's path.

In a swift instant my father spun around to see some humans wearing matching blue clothes. He sent the small brunette human a brief glance before he and my mother charged at the humans with the guns. I looked at the human for slightly longer and our eyes met before I picked up Drista and began following my parents.

They both switched into their second forms, large and scary and they even used to give me nightmares when I was younger. My mother was covered in black scales and looked like a giant insect, tall and narrow and a lot like my own second form except with another pair of arms. My father was more snake-like and bigger than my mothers form.

It was white and looked like it was made of plastic and had only one pair of arms and a long snake tail instead of legs. His face expression almost never changed from a smile which looked painted on with black paint. On his arms instead of the small claws that all demons had he had one long blade on each hand.

In a moment the pair were covered in blood as they slaughtered the humans and then returned back to their human-like forms as they returned to my side.

The rest of the day was a blur, mainly of me keeping track of Drista as my parents ran around killing humans. I saw no interest in killing them and before I knew it we had made our way into a human's house for the night. It was big enough for all 4 of us and had 2 decorated bedrooms that people clearly lived in as well as a guest room, the only unwelcome addition was the dead body of a woman with light brown eyes, pale skin, and golden brown hair.

My parents told me to take Drista from the room and to find a bedroom for us each. I walked through the hallway looking into each room and they were a lot flasher than any of the crannys in the Wrath layer in the crust. There was a big bedroom with a bathroom off to the side which I assumed that my parents would take for themselves.

Further down the hall was a plain bedroom which was clearly a guest room opposite the bathroom. I was going to claim it for myself and give Drista the other room I saw but I looked into it and saw it was large and already filled out with blue walls, toys and books on shelves, and a comfortable looking bed.

I stripped down the sheets of the bed and replaced it with some clean ones before flopping down on the mattress. Maybe the human world wasn’t so bad.
_________________________________________
1877 words