Chapter 8: blood, saliva, and tears

Dream POV.

George had fallen asleep in my arms, leaving me time to think. I never figured that I would have grown too attached to a human, especially this fast. But then again George was just one of those people you couldn't help but love, even if he hated you.

I walked beside Quackity, who was carrying his human, and Sapnap. Skeppy was ahead of us with his human curled into his arm. Part of me was jealous that he and his human already seemed to get on so well, and I wished that I could actually get George to like me sometime soon.

After a while of walking we got back to Skeppy's mansion. He offered both myself, Sapnap and Quackity, a room for us and our human's, but we all declined. Instead walking around to our cars.

I watched as Sapnap climbed into the driver's seat and Quackity moved into the passenger seat, with the human curled up in his arms, on the brink of falling asleep. Even though that human may not be as friendly with each other as Skeppy and his human were, it still seemed that their human had some form of respect for them.

'Why do I always end up with the more difficult one?' I thought to myself as I put George in the passenger seat before heading over to the driver's seat.

As I drove home my eyes kept darting over to George, wanting him to grow to love me. I know it seems cruel trying to force him to love me, but I already care for him, and just want him to feel the same.

Once I had finally returned home and put the small human in his room I grabbed a first aid kit, as I planned to treat his injuries. I tentatively grabbed his hand and saw it painted a deep red, and without being exactly sure why I did it I leaned down and licked off the blood.

Blood has the ability to strengthen demons but most of us avoid drinking it for the taste. It tastes absolutely disgusting. Part of the only reason I did this is because demons have some weird mix of chemicals in their saliva and their bloodstream which can be used to help injuries heal faster.

Even though I knew that George would probably hate me more than he does now if he found out I licked his hand it was worth it to make him heal faster.

I changed him and myself into warmer clothes before heading over to the door, planning on heading to my room. Having a human exhausted me out, even after one day I felt like I'd fall asleep forever like Sleeping Beauty which is saying a lot since demon's don't need sleep.

I sat down on my bed and my head resting against the wall, which was seperating my room from George's. My body relaxed and I let out a content yawn before deciding to try and get a few hours of sleep.

A few hours later

I'd been struggling to sleep, it has been so long since I last slept (I had broken my arm and sleeping heals our injuries faster) so I just spent hours wondering if it was possible to forget how to sleep. For a while I just sat quietly, thinking about things when suddenly my ears almost perked up as I heard noises coming from George's room.

It was quiet, any human who had lived in this house before the demons took over never would have heard through the wall but I did. Small sniffles, and coughs and choked out breaths came from through the wall and in an instant I was out of bed and running into the hallway. I slowed to a stop outside of his door and cautiously opened it.

George POV.

I laid curled up in the bed that the demon had given me, it was really late, and I stifled a yawn. I'd woken up with several nightmares and they left me all on edge. All of the nightmares shared a common theme involving me getting killed or tortured or hurt by demons. All I wanted was to get out.

Demons don't require sleep, and have better hearing, giving me no opportunity to sneak out during the night. I'd been up all night between the nightmares trying to plan different ways I could escape with Karl and Darryl, but none seemed to work out in my head.

Everything finally began to set in around there, I'd never be able to leave. No matter how many times I tried to escape, Dream would always find a way to catch me. He'd always outrun and outsmart me, it was inevitable.

A tear rolled down my cheek and I let out a choked out sob, wishing I could have just died with my dad when that demon got him 3 years ago, or even better, when demons released a plague which killed my mother. I should have just died with her.

More pained sobs escaped my dry lips as I cried out pathetically. I tried to bat away tears with my long lashes but none of them seemed to want to leave, they liked to make me feel vulnerable.

I made desperate attempts to quiet myself down, burying my head in a pillow, covering my mouth, and more. Nothing seemed to work and I realized that when I heard the door slowly open.

Without needing to look over I felt the demons glowing eyes on me, watching my movements, of which there were few. Dream must have known that I knew he was there because he began moving over to me. He sat down beside me and I smelt his dumb apple and cinnamon scent wafting through the air surrounding me. I just wanted to push him away, to have him as far away from me as possible. And I wanted him close, the smell was familiar and reminded me of my childhood, before the demons, of the baking my mother used to do making pies and tarts and other delicious desserts. Of good things.

My breathing was fast as I tried to catch my breath, and the smell calmed me. To help, the demon released small shushing sounds, similar to what he did when I had a panic attack earlier today. Eventually I had no tears left, except the ugly, wet marks that were now staining my cheeks.

Slowly I looked up and my eyes met his. "What's wrong Georgie?" He asked.
I cringed at the nickname but other than that I didn't react. "Please George what happened? Why are you crying?" The demon sounded genuinely concerned, and his eyes were full of sincerity.
"It's nothing, just a bad dream." I reassured him, before trying to roll over and go back to sleep, still feeling worried.

I had expected the demon to leave, but he didn't, instead his hand moved up to rub my back, making me tense momentarily before relaxing, being too tired to care. The demon's movements were slow and caring.

After a couple of moments he stood up to leave, and the nice smell went with him, the only thing familiar to me in this new life disappearing. "Please... don't go... that smell m-might help..." I said before feeling my face tint with a red hue.
The demon seemed uncertain for a moment before moving back over to the bed. He sat down awkwardly beside me before laying down. He moved up behind me, until his back was pressed against mine.

It was warm, and reminded me of when I used to hug my parents, and I nuzzled into the warmth of his chest subconsciously.

Dream POV.

I'd be lying if I said that I'd expected the human to call me back, after how he was acting, how desperate he seemed to be to get away from me. "Please... don't go... that smell m-might help..." I heard his quiet voice stutter.
For a moment I stood there, unsure if I had actually heard what I thought I had or if I was just going crazy. But then I turned around and moved over to him, sitting awkwardly at the edge of his bed in case he changed his mind and wanted me to leave.

But he didn't, the human didn't react as I sat down, nor did he react when I laid myself down behind him, moving closer to him. My body was close to his, and I started releasing the pheromone which he liked so much, then felt him nuzzle into my chest which made me blush.

For someone who was incredibly stubborn when he was awake, George was just cuddly now that he was tired. He was not letting me move from where I was, not that I minded. Seeing him so relaxed as he fell asleep made me release a slight purr.

All demons can purr, but we only do it if we are really, really happy. It just goes to show that pets really can make people happy. My hand tangled in his hair, brushing it with my fingers and closed my eyes, allowing myself into a relaxed state.

My protective nature got me to pull him closer, and I let out a low growl. "Mine."
_________________________________________
1556 words.