Chapter 3: waking up

Dream POV.

The human slept longer than I expected. I got home and put him in a guest bedroom right beside my own room, deciding that I'd set up a permanent room for him later. It was about midnight when I got home and since I didn't need to sleep I spent the entire night sitting on a couch in the corner of his room and waited for him to wake up.

It was after 9am when he finally showed any signs of waking up. I was tapping my foot impatiently as I considered leaving him here and going to do some more work. I wondered if Sapnap or Skeppy's humans had moved much, or if they were still sleeping like mine was.

Skeppy put us all on a call last night and told Sapnap and I how to take care of humans, just because neither of us had owned one before, but he told us pretty obvious stuff that just wasted our time. He told us things like, "learn their likes and dislikes," or "don't stress them out or try and force contact with you by picking it up until they're used to you," or "be gentle with them at first, we did just catch them last night."

He talked about it as though we were idiots, I mean neither of us would do this straight away.

Suddenly I saw a hint of movement and my eyes darted up to see the human shifting on the bed and my expression softened.

George POV.

Last night I slept better than I have in years, I didn't even really remember falling asleep. Only running, with Darryl and Karl. Then, I waded across the river and fell... nothing else. What was weirder though was that it is Winter and I actually felt warm for once. Maybe I fell asleep right by the fire or something... or maybe, in a worse case scenario, I had hypothermia. I heard that when you get that you start to feel really warm right before you die. Another strange thing was that my clothes weren't wet... if I was in the river surely I would be cold and wet.

I opened my eyes and looked around to see where I fell asleep... and.... Holy shit this isn't the cave. I'd been lying on a warm bed in a large bedroom, dressed in some grey sweatpants and a warm hoodie, that explains why I was warm and dry instead of sitting in a cave, and cold and wet.

One might have assumed that this entire hell which had been my life for the last 10 years was all a dream, or more accurately a terrible nightmare. But any thoughts of that were ruined when I saw a tall blond figure sitting on a couch watching me. The same one from last night. His face was solemn but his eyes still glowed slightly brighter than normal.

"Morning." It said when his eyes met mine, I didn't reply and just stared at it with a disgruntled expression. However internally I was freaking out and why wouldn't I be. I was sitting in a bed, wearing strange clothes in a strange house with a demon in front of me.

The blond demon didn't seem like he expected a reply and stood up, walking over to me until he stood right beside the bed. In order to try and put as much distance between us as possible I shuffled back in the other direction.

He sighed before looking at me, "what's your name?" He asked.

Why would I tell you? You're probably going to eat me the second I answer whatever questions you ask.

"Well. My name is Dream." He introduced, holding his hand out for a moment for me to shake before pulling it away almost instantly and sighing.

The demon, Dream, went on to ask several more questions which I didn't answer before giving up with a sigh. He moved back over to the couch and sat down, pulling out his phone to text someone.

Darryl POV.

I felt... different when I woke up this morning. For once I didn't feel tired from lying on a cave floor... actually this didn't even feel like a cave floor.