Chapter 6: escape

Dream POV.

"So has your human warmed up to you yet Dream?" Skeppy asked.

"It's been 18 hours, he still probably wants me to burn in hell." I replied as I took a sip of the drink he had offered me.

"But you're fireproof." Sapnap pointed out, "we are all fireproof."

I hummed in agreement, and the four of us fell into a content silence.

Suddenly I heard something, or more accurately I didn't hear something. George and his two friends had gone quiet, and it put me on edge. Skeppy, Sapnap, and Quackity all looked over to me, slightly confused as I stood up and moved over to the door.

I didn't bother knocking or anything, but opened the door just a sliver, not wanting to scare the humans if they were sleeping or cuddling or something (I don't know what humans do). However I threw the door wide open when I saw that the room was completely empty. "Shit!" I looked around the room for any sign of them, but they weren't here.

"Guys," I looked over my shoulder to the other demons who all stood up when they saw something was wrong.

"What?" Quackity asked. He moved over to me and his eyes widened when he saw that the room was empty. "Where the hell did they go!" he started freaking out as he and I rushed properly into the room.

There was only one place they could have gone. The only door into the room was the one we had come in from, so it must have been the window in the corner. I ran over to it and looked out of it, about 6 feet below me was a flower bush full of withered roses but no sign of the humans.

I lifted my gaze to look over to the woods, if I was a human that's where I would run. Hundreds of miles of trees to hide in, a lot of berries and maybe some fruit would grow there which I could eat, etc.

The other 3 demons were here and Skeppy let out a sigh, "I probably should have realised they'd have tried to do this, a lot of humans do often run away a couple of times after they're first caught." He explained sheepishly and I let out a growl.

"We should have been told that earlier, Skeppy. Then we probably would have had trackers on them or something."

By now Sapnap had climbed onto the ledge of the windowsill and I turned to see him drop down onto the ground, avoiding the bush of dead flowers as he landed on the grass. He turned to look at us for a moment. "I'm gonna start looking if you guys are still busy arguing." He stated before running off towards the treeline.

After a momentary glance at each other, Quackity, Skeppy, and I followed.

George POV.

Karl and I ran through the trees, half-dragging Darryl who was still reluctant about running off. "Why are you being so weird about this Darryl?" I asked him, "those demon's kidnapped us. Why the hell are you worried about running away?"

He slowed to a stop and we both turned back to look at him.

"Because Skeppy actually gave me proper food, stuff I haven't eaten in years and for once I'm not feeling hungry. He gave me warm clothes. After 10 years of being cold during the Winter, I was actually warm. And he wants to look after me, he told me himself. My life can't be any worse than it was out here. And now all three of us are just running back to it."

Now both Karl and I slowed down, he was right. We were getting treated better today than we had any other day before this. But still, we were kidnapped...

"I don't know about you two but I've changed my mind," Darryl continued. "I'm going back to them. I won't tell them where you are though... if you're worried about that."

Without waiting for a response he turned around, heading back in the direction of the mansion that we'd been running from. Karl's eyes met mine but the two of us slowly continued, climbing higher into the hillside of the forest.

My hand was still surprisingly bleeding but I ignored it. Panting as I began running again with Karl a few feet behind me. The further up the hill we went the colder it got and I was thankful for the new clothes which, despite being loose, were really warm.

Dream POV.

There was a smell looming in the air, one that helped us track the 3 humans but also put us on edge. It was blood. The metallic smell practically being a big arrow leading us right towards the 3. All 4 of us prayed that it wasn't our human which had been hurt, not that it would have been very appealing to have it be one of the other 2 humans hurt either.

Suddenly we saw a figure up ahead of us which made Skeppy leap forward, closing the distance between us and the human. His human had been stumbling tiredly down the hill and slowed to a stop when we reached him.

Skeppy knelt down and tilted the human's head up by hooking a finger under his chin. "Darryl, are you okay?" He asked softly, even though I could tell he was annoyed that the human ran off.

The human, Darryl, nodded slowly, nuzzling his hand against Skeppy's skin which was probably warm in the cold Winter's afternoon.

"Why did you run off?" Skeppy asked, his thumb caressing the human's cheek slowly.

"It was George's idea..." part of me was proud that my human had the guts to run, but another, bigger, part was worried, it wasn't safe out in the forest and he was going there during the coldest time of the year. "...but all 3 of us agreed to it. They are planning on running somewhere warm."

"Can you tell us where they are?" Quackity spoke up, causing Darryl to look over to him. The boy just shook his head, "I-I promised I wouldn't... sorry."

Skeppy moved his hand up to stroke the human's hair. "It's okay baby. Thank you for coming back to me."

I was going to question him further when he let out a yawn, I knew that humans could get quite tired after running for a while so it made sense. Skeppy instantly picked the human up and held him against his chest, releasing his pheromones to send the human to sleep. Even though they didn't affect demons I could smell them distinctly, the scent of sea salt and the beach.

The human in his arms seemed to fall asleep almost instantly and Quackity, Nick, and I expected our friend to carry him back to the mansion. However, Skeppy insisted he stayed with us as we continued uphill.

The three of us who weren't carrying humans ran ahead and soon enough we saw two faint outlines up further in the hill. All three of us ran towards them and eventually they looked over their shoulders to see us and then began running as well.

George POV.

I felt we had gotten far enough to be safe from then. But we hadn't. About 5 minutes after Darryl left I looked over my shoulder to see the 4 demons approaching, one of them carrying an unconscious Darryl in their arms.

Immediately Karl and I started running, the further up the hill we got, the more snow was piled around us, and it got harder for us to run quickly. This just made it easier for the demons.
_________________________________________
1285 words.