Chapter 63: August 2nd

Not dnf fanart but meh.
_________________________________________
George POV.

I stared boredly out the window as Mr Winter told us about a school sports event in a few weeks time. It was close to lunchtime and all I could focus on was the food that I had. It was also a Thursday, in my opinion the worst day of the week. Monday you could have a weekend hangover, Tuesday it can carry over to, Wednesday was a gray area, and Friday was practically a weekend. Thursday you had to be focused on and it sucked.

Suddenly an older student burst into the room. Mr Winter turned to tell him to leave the room and ‘knock before you come in because we could have been busy,’ but his panicked look caused the teacher to be quiet. “Mr Winter, the principal told me to tell you to turn on the news…”

He went quiet as he began panting, clearly he had run here but none of us commented on it. Without speaking Mr Winter just nodded and turned on the News. We all went silent as we began listening to what was being said.

“The president just released a warning and sent the country into lockdown while scientists are evaluating the danger of this other-worldly power. Other countries including the United Kingdom, Australia, and even China and Russia, are offering to help with what is currently affecting the United States, Canada, and parts of Mexico. The government is recommending people stay indoors and shut all doors and windows.”

The window in our classroom was open and upon hearing that Mr Winter rushed over to shut it. He’d just reached it and shut it when we noticed the black dust-sized particles in the air. Mr Winter was surrounded by most of the cloud and once he inhaled it he immediately began coughing.

He doubled over, coughing and gasping for air as he tried to steady himself on a table. The teacher's eyes widened and one of his hands moved up to try and cover his mouth. When he pulled his hand down it was covered in blood and that was the cue for everyone in the class to scream.

Without waiting for instruction we began running for the door, me being one of the furthest away from the door saw Mr Winter as his breathing stopped, his eyes stayed wide, and he fell limp in front of us all. That was the first death I saw, but definitely not the last…

Students were crowding the hallway, all trying to get to one of the doors as some teachers tried to get them to calm down. Other teachers however were joining students, calling loved ones perhaps as they moved with the swarm of kids.

All around us there were students dropping to the ground, gasping for air and coughing up blood before they stopped breathing all together. If they fell to the floor the other students wouldn’t try to go around them instead just trampling them. I recognised several of my classmates but couldn’t help them because I’d be pushed out of their reach before I could.

After what felt like hours in the hallway we ran out onto the grass in front of the main building and everyone ran in different directions. I was slightly dazed at the extremity of the situation but began running in the direction of home, even though I knew it was at least a 30 minute walk away.

I had to go closer to the centre of town to get there and a lot of other students were heading that way too. A lot of other students were heading that way too, some riding bikes, scooters, skateboards, and cars which not all of them owned. I tried to stick as close to the fenceline as I could to avoid getting pushed out of the way as people rushed home.

Still this cloud of black dust was looming in the air, and people dropped dead all around me. I thought that this was some kind of apocalypse or something and tried to figure out what that would mean when I saw someone falling off of the skateboard he was riding as he began coughing up blood.