Chapter 33: the hidden blueprints

George POV.

I looked around the room, but no place seemed right for my father to have hidden the blueprints for whatever machine he made. I checked the bed, pulling back the covers, looking underneath it, and under, and inside the pillows. Then I checked the minifridge that was full of water, I checked between all the bottles and cans before putting them back in their place. I took out all the drawers of the desk and the bedside tables and looked in and underneath them in case my dad taped them there but still nothing. I even got desperate enough to look behind paintings in the room, and behind the TV, but still nothing.

Eventually I gave up on the main bedroom and checked in the walk-in wardrobe, which Dream had filled with some clothes for my father, in the pockets of all the shirts and pants, and inside the shoes. I even looked through the old rags that he’d dumped in the bin.

After that I tried my luck at looking in the bathroom, taking out all the drawers in the cabinets on the sink, having my fingers trace the edges of the mirror for anything that he may have hidden behind the mirror. I looked along the tiled floor to see if any had been moved to hide something underneath but still nothing.

I thought about where else I could look when I heard someone behind me.
“Georgie?”
Immediately I spun around to see Dream standing there watching me. “What are you doing in your fathers room?” he asked.
“Just… looking for something… why?” I asked, walking over to him.
“I was looking for something… someone. You in fact.” the blond demon replied, pulling me into a hug.

“What were you looking for Georgie?” he questioned. “Maybe I could help.”
“Something he brought with him… a piece of paper he’d written on.” I explained, “it… it worries me…” I mumbled the last bit, but of course he heard with his super hearing.
“Why does it worry you George? What is so important about the paper?” the demon asked me curiously.
“I don’t know, but I feel like it won’t be good if what he wrote on it works…”

My eyes brushed up to meet his, “never mind that though… why are you up here?”
“There is a tripwire by the door and it told me someone came into the room. I thought it was your dad so I wanted to go see where you were. But it turns out he was sitting in the home cinema watching a movie, so I knew you were upstairs.” Dream explained. “So what is it that is on your paper that worries you…”
I blinked back tears, it felt like I’d be betraying my father if I told Dream this, but I’d be betraying Dream if I didn’t.

“You can’t say… can you?” Dream asked. “Or you’ll feel like you are going against your father if you do.”
I nodded, allowing the tears to fall as the demon picked me up and nuzzled my face into his chest. He began walking out into the hallway and shut the doors of the bathroom, wardrobe, and bedroom as he did so. “I am assuming if it is about your father, a scientist, and me, a demon, then I think the paper has blueprints for something. Possibly an invention to get rid of demons. Am I right?”

After a moment I nodded and he sighed. “What do you want to do then George?” he asked. “Because I’ll do whatever you think is best.”
“I don’t want him to hurt you,” I mumbled, which made the demon let out a satisfactory purr, “but he doesn’t seem to be listening to me when I try to talk him out of it… may-maybe we should tell people he’s here. He isn’t the same person I knew 3 years ago. He’s paranoid, and a bit of a psychopath now.” the blond hummed at that.

“So you want me to call the authorities?” Dream asked, moving his hand down to his pocket to grab his phone but I shook my head.
“Give me a few more days please!” I begged.
The demon raised an eyebrow before nodding, “if that is what you want George.” his hand moved back up to hold me and he carried me down to the cinema despite me saying he could go back to work.

He put me down beside the door and I moved to open it, before I could Dream gave me a pout. “No goodbye kiss?” he asked jokingly and I glared at him, giving him a hint.
The blond chuckled before nodding “see you later then.”
I gave him a wave before opening the door and moving to sit back beside my father.

“You were gone a while.” he stated as he turned his attention off of the screen and over to look at me.
“Yeah sorry.” I replied, without stating anything else.
“That demon came in here to check on us… I told you we’re in prison.” he stated, causing me to grit my teeth.
“He is not as much of an asshole as you say he is, Dad.” I responded. “Plus, I went to the bathroom, I took so long to get back because I saw Dream on the way… he wanted to talk to me.”

He hummed and turned his attention back to the screen, and so I did the same. We watched in silence for a few moments, before he turned to me again. “I was wondering George… what if you were to come with me… we could go on the run and take down the demons together.”
“Dad… please. Not all of the demons are bad… do we really have to get rid of them all?” I asked my dad.
“Not all of everything is ever bad George. It’s a fact. But there are much more bads than goods, so it would be a sacrifice for the greater good.”

I let out a sigh then looked away. Obviously it will take a while to change his mind. Still, I can try convincing him Dream is good for several days… then if that doesn’t work I have to tell Dream that it’s useless. But the blond has a lot of influence and power… maybe he can get whatever fate awaits my psychopath of a father to be simpler. Or less painful at least.

After sending a last glance over to my father I went back to the movie.
_________________________________________
1094 words.