Chapter 34: just to take your mind off things

Dream POV.
6 days later

As the days went on with George and his father I felt more and more cautious with every moment they spent together. I know I should feel happy for George, being reunited with his father after years of being apart, but I felt... was it jealous?

Everyday was the same, we'd all eat breakfast together, trying to ignore the obvious tension, then I'd go to work and they'd spend time together, getting to know each other. But every night when I talked to George he told me the same thing, his dad refused to see reason and kept offering to escape. As much as George hated to admit it I could tell that he was thinking about turning his father over.

The decision was clearly eating him up inside, he wasn't sure what to do and I wanted to help him but I didn't know how.

I was sitting in my office eating leftover Chinese food from a couple of nights ago as I thought. Usually if something or someone was making George sad I would kill them instantly, but I knew that killing his dad in front of him probably wouldn't help anything. After a while I came up with an idea.

one hour later

I opened the door to the home cinema where George and his father had been. They weren't watching a movie, just sitting and talking with each other but they both looked over to me as I spoke. "I have made dinner If you guys want it." I stated, and George stood up and nodded in response.
His dad stood up too, looking somewhat weary, and the two of them followed me out of the room.

We made our way over to the table where I had served up 3 bowls of spaghetti bolognese for us. The 3 of us sat in our regular spots and before we ate it Mr Davidson gave me a pointed look. "How do I know you haven't poisoned my food?" he asked, which was the same question he asked every day, but so far I hadn't done anything to it, as much as I wanted to.
"If you want to, you can have mine instead." I offered, like I did every day.
He looked from my food to his before shaking his head, "actually I'll be fine with my food." probably thought I'd try to outsmart him by putting something into my food not his.

George sent a slightly annoyed look at his father but didn't say anything and after a moment all 3 of us began eating. I managed to ignore the sweet taste in my food, after all I knew it would be there, the same taste was obviously absent in George's food but his father seemed to notice it. Chloroform definitely alters the flavour of the food, thankfully demons were immune to the knock-out chemical, and there wasn't enough in either of our food to cause damage to Mr Davidson.

The brunette's father glanced up to me, "why does it taste sweet?" he asked me.
George looked confused, and I sent him a look telling him to not speak up about it which he understood. Then I turned to look at his father, "I accidentally put some sugar in when I got it mixed up with the salt." I lied.
He nodded and I gave him a smile, "you can make yourself something else if you want." He has already eaten more than enough of the food mixed with the chemical to knock him out in 5 minutes or less.

Sure enough less than 2 minutes later George looked over to his father who was barely able to keep his eyes open. "Dad... you look tired," the brunette stated, "maybe you should go upstairs to bed."
"Yeah... yeah maybe I will." he mumbled before standing up and smiling at his son. "I guess I'll see you in the morning then George."
Mr Davidson didn't even look at me as I left the room and I just rolled my eyes. When he was gone George turned to look at me, "what did you put into his food?" he asked, and I chuckled.

"I just put in a smidgen of chloroform." I responded, giving him a smirk while showing my fangs.
"What! Dream!" George yelled at me as he stood up. "That could be dangerous! Especially if my dad ate it!"
"Calm down." I responded, moving over to the human and pulling him close, feeling him bury his head in my chest. "I didn't put enough in it to hurt him badly, and he only had about half a dozen mouthfuls."
He nodded from where I was holding him against me. My hand moved up to his hair and I released a quiet purr. "Your dad will be fine."