Chapter 28: leaving again

George POV.

Dream had climbed up onto the bed as I finished putting away the first aid kit then climbed up to join him. I propped one of the pillows on the bed up, and leaned on it as Dream passed me the remote, “what movie do you want to watch?”
I turned on the TV and after a brief glance at what was playing on some of the channels before going onto Netflix, Disney Plus, and Youtube, looking for something to watch.

Beside me I heard a yawn and turned my attention to Dream. “I can leave if you want to sleep…” I offered, sitting up and turning the TV back off.
“No it’s fine… you can stay.” He replied, causing me to move back to where I was originally sitting.
Dream watched me for a few moments with curiosity. “Just don’t be too loud.” he requested before rolling over.

I nodded even though he couldn’t see and turned the TV on and found an animated movie to watch. But I turned the volume down and paid attention to the movie while also watching the blond demon from the corner of my eyes as his breathing became slow before eventually falling asleep. The blond demon looked surprisingly peaceful, and now that I think about it I had never seen him in a relaxed state like this.

After waiting a few more moments I slid off the bed, walking out into the hallway before sending a glance back at Dream. I closed the door and began walking, just absentmindedly walking through the halls and looking into different rooms as I passed. All of them seemed to be identical, a lot of bedrooms all of which had a similar layout, some other rooms had indoor pools, cinemas, some old unused arcade machines and some other stuff too. It seems like this place used to be a hotel or something.

I guess it took me so long to figure this out because I’ve only been in a few rooms; my bedroom, Dream’s bedroom, his office, the kitchen, the lounge, and the garage. But then again the garage was exceptionally large, more like a parking lot with every second or third spot having some cool sports car or just a classic one, maybe even the occasional motorbike. Plus, I remember the blond nonchalantly stating that he renovated this place when he got it, so it does make sense I suppose.

Eventually I made my way to a large curved staircase near the front of the house, and it confirmed my suspicion. This place clearly had some sort of desk which had been removed, the floor tiling was a slightly different  colour, and the patterns didn’t match up perfectly. I chuckled at how much of a detective I became.

I investigated the tiles for another couple moments before standing up, in front of me was the large glass entrance way of the former hotel, and I took several steps forward. In the weeks I had been here Dream and I only ever came and left through the garage so I’ve never seen this place before. From through the large window which reached floor to ceiling you could see the sun beginning to set.

After reaching the door I grabbed the handle and opened it, stepping onto the steps which led down to the driveway. I was barefoot, not that I minded. Despite the fact that it was Winter it was quite warm. Without focusing too much I walked down the driveway and over to the road. It was quiet, and I am sure that if I did leave now I could get far away and Dream would never expect I’d leave via the road.

‘Why? Dream has done nothing but be nice to you…’ I asked myself silently, and I hated to admit that it was true. I felt like I was always having this conversation with myself, taking both sides constantly, a split mind.
‘Dream is nice, he takes care of me and provides me with food, clothes, a bed, and I get to see my friends almost every day.’ but then right after I’d remember, ‘Dream kidnapped me, took me and my friends from our home, and is holding me here against my will. His kind took over the planet. And now, I am developing Stolkholm syndrome.’

My brain seemed to be running on a wheel, not going anywhere except in a circle the same thing over and over again. Dream is good, I should stay, Dream is bad, I should go. This is just pointless. I sat down on the sidewalk and tried to think. Should I try and leave again? Or should I stay?

Finally I decided. I’m going to go. This place may be nice but I can’t have a future of my own here, it would always be Dream, with me by his side just sitting quietly while he does whatever the hell he wants, making me follow blindly with that annoying scent of his. Plus, he could lash out and kill anyone in an instant. Even though he claims he’d never hurt me I couldn’t be sure.

I stood up and stretched, glancing over my shoulder at Dream’s house one last time before walking across the street and into the forest on the other side. Every step I took I told myself that I should turn back, but then I reminded myself of my arguments, kidnapped me, took over the planet, killed my parents, can change and kill someone in an instant. More than enough reason to leave.

After 10 or so minutes of walking I figured I’d be relatively safe, but that couldn’t have been further from the truth. Suddenly I heard the snapping of branches off to my left and immediately ducked down, unsure of who or what it might be. Obviously I thought it was Dream, awake and annoyed that I had left while he was asleep. He’ll probably knock me out with that dumbass scent and when I wake up I’ll be back in my room, and keep an even more watchful eye on me.

But it wasn’t. A man ran out of the bushes, or he actually half stumbled, wearing nothing but some rags. He had dark brown, almost black hair and blue eyes. The man was thin, clearly he hadn’t eaten in a few days. For a moment he glanced in my direction, his eyes dark and almost lifeless… he’s human. He looked kind of familiar but I couldn’t tell where from.

I watched him for a while and then after a moment his eyes met mine and he spotted me. My breath hitched as he began running to me and eventually grabbed my shoulders, his eyes looking into mine… nowhere else. “Please!” he begged. “You've got to help me! These demons are trying to kill me!”
_________________________________________
1147 words.

Who the fuck was that am I right?